slipstream SP2 into XP

slls

n00b
I have seen a lot written about slipstreaming SP2 into XP recovery disc. Now before I installed SP2 I had to install a lot of patches. One I remember if not done, restore would not work right.
I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, would you not have to install the patches into recovery disc before slipstreaming SP2. Thanks

I don't understand your answer, I had to install all these update patches before installing SP2
(SP26352)
(SP26330)
(SP26286)
(SP26371)
(SP26333

Nope. If you get vanilla XP and slipstream SP2 into it, everything that was needed before SP2 will be included when you slipstream it.

XP------->Patches------>SP1-------->Patches-------->SP2--------->Patches-------->SP3(not released yet)

This is the upgrade timeline. SP2 includes everything that came before it plus it's own fixes. So you don't have to do anything before slipstreaming SP2 into XP, only get the patches that came afterwards. Once SP3 comes out, you can slipstream it on XP and get everything that came before it and so on.

The SP2 download you get from Windows Update is not a "complete" SP2 package. To get the complete SP2 download, you need to download "Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals". This hefty 200+MB download contains *ALL* the patches prior to the release of SP2, even those Windows Updates forces you to grab before it is willing to install SP2.

The SP2 download you get from Windows Update is not a "complete" SP2 package. To get the complete SP2 download, you need to download "Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals". This hefty 200+MB download contains *ALL* the patches prior to the release of SP2, even those Windows Updates forces you to grab before it is willing to install SP2.

I see, so if I need to recover I will do what I have done once. Recover then install the patches, then SP2. I am going to forget the slipstream idea. Thanks

I see, so if I need to recover I will do what I have done once. Recover then install the patches, then SP2. I am going to forget the slipstream idea. Thanks

Why give up on slipstreaming? It vastly cuts down on the time to set up Windows once it's installed, and it's not hard to do.

I think I am missing something here. Do you mean if I slipstream it will automatically install the patches before it installs SP2. All the patches I listed are from the HP site, to be done before installing SP2.

Yes, you can slipstream 3rd party patches into the XP slipstream disk and they should get installed. I've only ever slipstreamed SP2 though so could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has slipstreamed other patches into his disk and had no issue. I don't like to do that because your hardware may change and then you will need to make another slipstreamed disk. Just slipstream SP2 and then install the HP patches after. There should be no reason they have to be installed before SP2 unless they are buggy crap.

Speaking of HP, I just emailed them two days ago and told them to get off their fat arse's and get to work on the Vista driver for my 1018 laser printer. Then they email me back and tell me a workaround to install the XP driver into Vista. Should have emailed them six months ago if I had know they had a workaround method to install the driver into Vista. I've been printerless in Vista for six months now.

I think I am missing something here. Do you mean if I slipstream it will automatically install the patches before it installs SP2. All the patches I listed are from the HP site, to be done before installing SP2.

Do you actually use any of these:

HP Toolkit?
HP Imaging?
Cruddy, poxy games that came preinstalled on your rig?

Those are the things the "essential updates before SP2" are designed to fix. The absolutely crappy preinstalled bullshit HP puts on machines. If you don't use it then all you need do before applying SP2 is uninstall the crud, using Add/Remove programs! There's nothing wrong with the system apart from the rubbish HP installed on it!

You've mentioned that you have a 'Recovery Disk' rather than an actual Windows CD with that system, so 'slipstreaming' isn't really an option for you. Use the 'Recovery' media to re-image the drive back to factory-shipped state. Then find Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and Uninstall all the shitty stuff there you neither need nor use. SP2 will install fine, without issues, after you do.

You can get the entire SP2 installation from this download location and burn it to CD in preparation. Saves a LOT of mucking about afterwards.

Just to elaborate, When you install an update or service pack on a live system, it goes in and replaces several or thousands of files with newer versions that are fixed. It also saves a backup copy in case you need to roll back to before the patch was installed. (Look in your Windows folder. You'll might see a shitload of blue folders beginning with "$NT", those are the backed up files that the patches replaced along with information to tell the system how to roll back to them.)

So now that you know that, it'll be easier to understand how slipstreaming works. When you slipstream an update or service pack into an XP (or 2000) installation folder (i386) it actually replaces the files in that folder so that when you burn a new XP cd and reinstall from it all the updated files get installed rather than the old ones. Because the updated files are replaced before the CD is burned, installation time would be almost exactly the same as it was with the original disc. Afterwards there would be no need to do any updates, unless new updates have been realeased since you last slipstreamed.

I'll repea. If the fellow has an HP Recovery disk rather than an actual Windows install disk, slipstreaming probably won't be an option.

Those things often have the Windows installation folder archived on the disk, making it really difficult to do any slipstreaming..

I'll repea. If the fellow has an HP Recovery disk rather than an actual Windows install disk, slipstreaming probably won't be an option.

Those things often have the Windows installation folder archived on the disk, making it really difficult to do any slipstreaming..

Of the two HP and one Compaq computers I have owned or used extensively, all of them had the i386 folder right in the root of the system partition. If that's still the case all he needs to do is copy that into his working folder that the above guides have you create.

On your HP computer with Windows XP the software key attached to your PC will work with any OEM XP disk if the disk matches your OS (either Home or Pro).

Forget the recovery disk. It is a piece of junk with dated drivers and loads of crapware.

Find someone who had the OEM disk and use that. If the disk already has SP2 you will not need to slipstream.

If you find Nlite confusing to use, try Autopatcher for adding updates released after SP2. If you need to slipstream SP2, you can use Autostreamer.

Thanks for all the replies. The information is very enlightening. I will wait and see what XP SP3 is all about.
When I get a new computer with Vista I want to keep my HP XP computer for a spare. I will then recover to dump all the junk I have picked up through the years. All I have is the HP recovery disc, which I used once before to clean house.
Some of the things I read are over my head, I am just an old man that likes to access the information highway, burn CD’s and work with images. Most of the people in my neighborhood my age don’t own a computer and don’t want one. Thanks.

:)

Tell your neighbors they are luddites and are missing out on a great experience. I wouldn't want to be retired and computer-less as they can easily keep you occupied all day and every day. Sure beats watching TV.

Back