• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slimline SATA Blu Ray Options

machenti

n00b
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
12
I am trying to downsize my HTPC from a LIAN LI 350V to an Antec ISK 300. I'm running into an issue finding a Slimline Blu Ray drive. I have all the parts ready to go except the MB which is on it's way. Any suggestions for a drive that won't set me back over $300?

There are some external slimline drives, does anyone know if it's possible to strip the drive from the housing on any?
 
Here's an LG drive at AxionTech:

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=87171

And eWiz has a Sony one:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name...0c022bbeb8203f68a2107d668b7b26225677b2cff1e74

SilverStone sells one, too; though I think it's IDE and includes a SATA adapter.

BTW, I used the search terms "slim blu ray sata internal" in Google Shopping to find these.

If you were hoping for a slot loading drive, you may be out of luck. The only one I can find is a Sony one in a few obscure places; and not for less than $300. Try adding "slot" to the above search terms.
 
Personally I have Silverstone's TOB02. It's a bit noisy at times when reading files etc, but luckily not so much if watching BD movies. But just keep in mind that very few slim drives come with software capable of playing back BD movies if that is what you want to do. I found this out the hard way, and would've been better off getting a standalone player in the end :p
 
Newegg has a blue ray burner currently out of stock newegg

you can pick up a generic external like this and take the drive out. it will be either sata or slimsata so u may need an adapter. then you can sell or reuse the external enclosure
Otherwise, any external drive that looks like this case should house a sata/slimsata drive which u can remove.
 
Panasonic also makes model UJ-135A which is a slot load slimline BD reader. It is EOL, but some are still in the channel.
 
Back
Top