• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slim-to-regular optical drive adapter needed

Objekt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
302
Is there any place I can buy a slim-to-regular drive bay adapter for anything approaching a reasonable price? "Reasonable" means "significantly less than the price of a new full-size DVD-RW drive." Think $5-$10.

So far I've only found things such as this sheetmetal monstrosity for $28 (http://www.digistor.com/Bezel-Kit-for-Single-Slimline-Blu-ray-DVD-Black-Bezel). If that's all that's available, I might as well just buy a full-size DVD-RW drive ($17).

I have an extra slim DVD-RW drive sitting around that I thought I might use in my next desktop build. I just don't want it flopping around in a regular-size drive bay.
 
Is there any place I can buy a slim-to-regular drive bay adapter for anything approaching a reasonable price? "Reasonable" means "significantly less than the price of a new full-size DVD-RW drive." Think $5-$10.

So far I've only found things such as this sheetmetal monstrosity for $28 (http://www.digistor.com/Bezel-Kit-for-Single-Slimline-Blu-ray-DVD-Black-Bezel). If that's all that's available, I might as well just buy a full-size DVD-RW drive ($17).

I have an extra slim DVD-RW drive sitting around that I thought I might use in my next desktop build. I just don't want it flopping around in a regular-size drive bay.

The least expensive version I have seen is 14.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994088 . Quite honestly, you would be better off keeping the slim drive for another day/project and going for a full height and likely much faster dvdrw such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244 which you can get for $16.99 delivered, just $2 more than the bracket alone. This is a 22x DVDRW, most of the slim drives are usually 8x, and it does DL at 8x, where most of the slim drives do 2x. Also, you could probably get at least the cost of the full height drive by putting the slim on ebay.
 
I put the slim drive on eBay and I'll just buy that Samsung SATA unit for the new rig.

The comment above regarding reduced performance vs. a fullsize drive was, of course, spot-on. The slim drive is an Optiarc AD-7580S, with somewhat limited writing and burning speeds (8x for both on DVD+R and -R).
 
Back
Top