• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slim Build requires Slim Cooling

C4PSL0CK

n00b
Joined
Oct 17, 2009
Messages
19
I'm aiming to build a build in the next few months but there are a couple of problems. Since the case isn't too large (300x300x70mm) I'm expecting some heat issues. So I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate if you peeps could answer them. :)

(1) Those liquid cooling glossy packs in laptops, (a) what are they called, (b) is it possible to buy them somewhere and (c) how effective are they really?

(2) Are there any reasons why a GPU heatsink would not work on a CPU? The reason I'm asking is because they dissipate alot more heat then the regular low profile CPU coolers and the're low profile so they will fit the case.

(3) Are there any aftermarket Vapor Chamber coolers? I know Sapphire has them but I'm not interested in the card, just the cooler. How about reference coolers (in general), any way to get them without buying the GPU that's attached to it?

(4) I'm looking for blower/centrigufal/squirrel cage fans. Any quality manifacturer that makes them?

Thanks in advance!
 
i cant/dont have the time to figure out the other questions but for #2 i dont see why you couldnt, except that you will have to find some way to make it stay in contact with the cpu and not move around, you could use some epoxy with some diamond in it, good for thermal conductivity it is, but it would essentially glue your cpu to that heatsink

ninja edit!: for a squirrel cage fan cant you just get one off a video card?
 
i cant/dont have the time to figure out the other questions but for #2 i dont see why you couldnt, except that you will have to find some way to make it stay in contact with the cpu and not move around, you could use some epoxy with some diamond in it, good for thermal conductivity it is, but it would essentially glue your cpu to that heatsink

ninja edit!: for a squirrel cage fan cant you just get one off a video card?

Sorry for the late response.

I knew I had to keep it in check, just wanted to know wether there was some problem with that I didn't account for, but it seems not! So that's one problem out of the way.

As for the squirrel cage fans. I need multiple, 3 in total. One will obviously come with the GPU but that would still leave 2. Buying another 2 GPUs just to get the fans is rather ... expensive. ^_^
 
Sorry for the late response.

I knew I had to keep it in check, just wanted to know wether there was some problem with that I didn't account for, but it seems not! So that's one problem out of the way.

As for the squirrel cage fans. I need multiple, 3 in total. One will obviously come with the GPU but that would still leave 2. Buying another 2 GPUs just to get the fans is rather ... expensive. ^_^


this site seems to have some.. how big are you looking to get? http://www.surplussales.com/Fans-Blowers/FansBlow-1.html

and for question #1 are you talking about some sort of TIM?

another edit: take a look at this for vapor chambers http://www.google.com/products?hl=e... Chamber cpu cooler&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
 
Last edited:
this site seems to have some.. how big are you looking to get? http://www.surplussales.com/Fans-Blowers/FansBlow-1.html

and for question #1 are you talking about some sort of TIM?

another edit: take a look at this for vapor chambers http://www.google.com/products?hl=e... Chamber cpu cooler&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

About 80-110mm. I've been browsing the FansBlower-website ... You sure those are for PCs? Some of those looks huge. I think only the first one is actually usuable in a PC.

I'm not sure if they still use them but some laptop used to have some kind of conductive paste in some kind of plastic pack. What's TIM anyway?

Sadly the Vapor Chambers aren't too long. It has to be superior then a Accelero Xtreme GTX280.
 
About 80-110mm. I've been browsing the FansBlower-website ... You sure those are for PCs? Some of those looks huge. I think only the first one is actually usuable in a PC.

I'm not sure if they still use them but some laptop used to have some kind of conductive paste in some kind of plastic pack. What's TIM anyway?

Sadly the Vapor Chambers aren't too long. It has to be superior then a Accelero Xtreme GTX280.

TIM is a thermal interface compound, so thermal grease, paste, whatever.

a lot of those arnt for pc's but if they use 12v 5v 7v or 3.3v you could possibly wire it up yourself, its not too hard ;)

and for the vapor chambers i thought you were going to use them for the cpu's?
 
TIM is a thermal interface compound, so thermal grease, paste, whatever.

a lot of those arnt for pc's but if they use 12v 5v 7v or 3.3v you could possibly wire it up yourself, its not too hard ;)

and for the vapor chambers i thought you were going to use them for the cpu's?

Yeah but I'm looking for 2 VGA Vapor Chamber Coolers since they tend to be long and low profile. One for the CPU, one for the GPU. Now for the GPU it shouldn't be a problem since Sapphire uses them in their Vapor-X series, I can buy one of those, but I need another one for the CPU.

Now altho a Vapor Chamber is better at cooling then a regular heatpipe/fins-cooler I'm pretty sure something the size of an Accelero Xtreme is going to outperform that tiny CPU block. ^_^
 
Yeah but I'm looking for 2 VGA Vapor Chamber Coolers since they tend to be long and low profile. One for the CPU, one for the GPU. Now for the GPU it shouldn't be a problem since Sapphire uses them in their Vapor-X series, I can buy one of those, but I need another one for the CPU.

Now altho a Vapor Chamber is better at cooling then a regular heatpipe/fins-cooler I'm pretty sure something the size of an Accelero Xtreme is going to outperform that tiny CPU block. ^_^

lol i didnt notice that they were all 1u heatsinks, well im sure that you could find one with the required amount of google-fu, but i dont seem to be able to find anything else helpful, see if you can mount a video vapor chamber heatsink to it, maybe even rig it up to cool your ram too if possible, you might have to make some of your own parts though if you do that, ask around some more, try over at xtremesystems and see if they have anyone who can make some bits for you ;)

good luck with it, and pics when possible ;)
 
Back
Top