SLI with low ASIC?

Hooy

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of impact a low ASIC score card has on an SLI system.

I currently have 2 780 SC ACX's in my rig with ASIC's of 81.4% and 72.5%. I might add a 3rd with a 66% score that I can get for "cheap" locally.

Will not having matching speeds on all 3 (or 2 in the case of two-way SLI) decrease performance? I currently have my SLI cards capable of 1175 core boost and +250 on the memory, but would prefer to run everything at stock or minimal changes to match all 3 cards' speeds.

Thoughts?

Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of impact a low ASIC score card has on an SLI system.

I currently have 2 780 SC ACX's in my rig with ASIC's of 81.4% and 72.5%. I might add a 3rd with a 66% score that I can get for "cheap" locally.

Will not having matching speeds on all 3 (or 2 in the case of two-way SLI) decrease performance? I currently have my SLI cards capable of 1175 core boost and +250 on the memory, but would prefer to run everything at stock or minimal changes to match all 3 cards' speeds.

Thoughts?

ASIC doesn't necessarily mean your clocks are going to be bad. My 780 ACX SC has an ASIC of 65% and I am running it at 1200 MHz and +668 on the Memory. If I turn the memory down I can run it at 1215 MHz core. I believe heat is going to be a bigger factor for you since the ACX cooler is dumping all that heat inside your case, if anything, making sure these cards don't throttle from heat will be your biggest concern.

I believe heat is going to be a bigger factor for you since the ACX cooler is dumping all that heat inside your case, if anything, making sure these cards don't throttle from heat will be your biggest concern.

I pretty much agree with that. What I learned from my SLI setup with dual TwinFrozr II cards is that I will never do another SLI setup with non-rear-exhaust coolers again. It is nearly impossible to control the heat output of the cards and if you manage it, the noise from all the additional fans will exceed that of the blower type cards.

I pretty much agree with that. What I learned from my SLI setup with dual TwinFrozr II cards is that I will never do another SLI setup with non-rear-exhaust coolers again. It is nearly impossible to control the heat output of the cards and if you manage it, the noise from all the additional fans will exceed that of the blower type cards.

I had that concern at first but with 2 cards my temps are excellent using 2 2150rpm Gentle Typhoons as side intakes directly over the GPU's. 3 GPU's would obviously put this system to the test... but I plan on having 2 more AP45's added to the front intake and then playing around with intake/exhaust rear/top.

Ehh, my 780 SC ACX SLI is fine in my PC-X1000. There is a good bit of warm air pouring out the rear exhaust near the CPU heatsink/fan and some coming out the very top of the case where the hard drives sit. The top card gets up to 10C warmer, but the highest I've seen it go was 80-81C and bottom at 70C. Within spec, the fans are quiet and the world hasn't ended. I like that it's quietly dumping the hot air out, lol. I can't speak for the blower style 780s, but I can definitely say I don't miss the blowers from the 680s.

Yes, I'm singing the praises of open air style cooling. I hate noise.

Oh, one thing I don't like is that the cards tend to sag. I wish they all included a damn backplate. $650 for a card and they can't toss in a couple games and backplate. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
ASIC doesn't mean squat imo. My 680's both score reasonably well and are all of 1.1% apart (80.2% and 79.1%) yet they can get past +105 core.

My GTX 780 has an ASIC score of 61.0% Boost clock is 966mhz and it hits 80c within minutes of firing up BF3. I had the core up to 1100mhz and it seems to be stable, I just have to adjust the fan past 50%. Your SLI setup will be as best as the worst overclocked card in the setup.

Back