SLi Stopped Working Today

Well, I was in the middle of playing WoW earlier today and my screen flickers to black, while my music is still playing in the background. After a while stuck where I could move my mouse but elicit no other response from my computer, I rebooted. After this, I tried booting in safe mode, which worked. I proceeded to update my nvidia drivers via DriverCleaner in Safe Mode and etc.

Well my computer boots back into normal mode fine, but when I enabled SLi with my new drivers, I experienced the same screen flickering on and off and locking up. Again, Windows would not load completely. So the next step I took is just removing my second video card and turning the SLi selector back to single.

My computer is now running, but only on one video card. Keep in mind that I have been running the same set up for over a year now. I have a suspicion that my mobo (ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe), is crapping out. I've had the mobo fan broke, SATA controllers become sketchy, among other things.

Now the question is, should I replace my mobo, or sell the cards and upgrade to a 7800/7900 and go single video card until my next big upgrade.

Also, any recommendations for new SLi mobos and 78xx/79xx's are greatly appreciated. I haven't been keeping up with the new hardware at all.

Are you sure maybe one of your video cards didn't just die? Try putting the bottom video card in your top slot and see if it works. I don't see how a mobo can lose SLI function without the whole mobo being dead.

Which nvidia driver you using?
With 91.31, I get BSOD when I enable SLI from the nvidia control panel
So I'm back to 84.21 until I find a fix.

Darius94523 said:
Looks like my second video card did die, any suggestions for a 78xx or 79xx?

Uhoh, somebody will show up soon in this thread and tell you that is what you get for running your video cards in RAID 0. :)

eastvillager said:
Uhoh, somebody will show up soon in this thread and tell you that is what you get for running your video cards in RAID 0. :)

Actually he should wait for someone to show up in the thread and say I told you so

I TOLD YOU SOOOOO!!!!!

hehehe jk

vanilla_guerilla said:
evga 7900gt ko, around $260 at newegg.
dfi ultra-d, around $110 anywhere.

I also recommend this card. I just purchased one myself the other day and I am amazed at the specs for the overall price. Check your PSU though and make sure it's 20A and the +12V rail or it wont run quite as fast. Good card though.

Back