SLI + Single Video Card? Help!

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
I feel like I can do this without any problems and I wasn't sure if this should be motherboard or video card forum so please move it if need be.
My questions is I currently run a 780i so 3 - pci-e 2.0 slots but only have 2 - 8800 gt's in SLI currently, would it be possible to grab an 8600 gt and toss it in the third pci-e slot or would my motherboard get confused? :confused:
Rig in sig if anymore questions on gear, like I said, I should be able to as the drives would be the same but I don't know how the motherboard would like it.
Thanks for any help! :)

I don't think you can put it in the 3rd x16 slot. It would have to go in the x4 or x1 or whatever the other pci-e slot on there is.

Can I mix and match graphics cards?
In order to provide optimal symmetric scaling, SLI technology requires the NVIDIA GPUs to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT. However, using the latest Release 80 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ.
Source: SLIZone

He's not asking to SLI different types of cards. He has 2 8800GTs already in SLI, and I'm assuming he wants to throw the 8600GTS in there to have multi monitor support.

Someone told me in another thread this would work with a 7800GT + 2 8800Gt to get SLI and multi screen support. There was even instructions posted someplace, I haven't gotten to try it yet though. I just got my second 8800GT and haven't been able to install it yet.

Back