SLI setup help A8N32-SLI

Super KW

Limp Gawd
i just add another card and my problem is with battelfield 2 its unstable (with some maps in BF2:SF)! with singl card every thing maxed out with 1600x1200 no problem at all . its happen with sli only i can see i have more fps hit 99 but the game is unstable ?

Benchmark is good with SLI
3dmark 06 7170
3dmark 05 11550

but i dont know what is it with BF2 i try to delet the cache and nothing happen
i try also asus ez plug , in bios ther is no sli menu !
so any help please ?

and yes sli bridge is connected :)

Did you uninstall the old drivers, then reinstall them again after adding the SLI setup? Also, make sure you have the latest nvidia nForce4 x16 chipset drivers. I found that the 81.98 Forceware drivers have been the most stable, as many of the 83.xx releases have caused crashes etc.
Of course, also make sure your BIOS is up to date. I'm assuming your cards are the same speed/brand? :confused:

consumer9000 said:
Did you uninstall the old drivers, then reinstall them again after adding the SLI setup? Also, make sure you have the latest nvidia nForce4 x16 chipset drivers. I found that the 81.98 Forceware drivers have been the most stable, as many of the 83.xx releases have caused crashes etc.
Of course, also make sure your BIOS is up to date. I'm assuming your cards are the same speed/brand? :confused:

thanks for the reply

yes all of them are up to date

First of all, your Asus EZ Plug must always be connected when using SLi. There is no "Bios" menu for it since it will automatically detect the presence of the 2nd card. You should uninstall your videocard drivers, run DriverCleaner pro or Ccleaner's Registry cleaner, reboot your computer, and reinstall your drivers. Then make sure to select "Multi-Card GPU" in the nVidia setup menu. If BF2 is still causing issues when playing, then I suggest simply uninstaling the game, deleting any leftover files, defragmenting your HD and reinstalling it. BF2 causes problems with my X-fi soundcard every time there is a patch.

AppaYipYip said:
First of all, your Asus EZ Plug must always be connected when using SLi. There is no "Bios" menu for it since it will automatically detect the presence of the 2nd card. You should uninstall your videocard drivers, run DriverCleaner pro or Ccleaner's Registry cleaner, reboot your computer, and reinstall your drivers. Then make sure to select "Multi-Card GPU" in the nVidia setup menu. If BF2 is still causing issues when playing, then I suggest simply uninstaling the game, deleting any leftover files, defragmenting your HD and reinstalling it. BF2 causes problems with my X-fi soundcard every time there is a patch.

Thanks i will do a format to insure the stability :)
i thought ez plug for video without ex power ! as the manual said
about the x-fi i cant run in ultrahigh i get crashed to desktop any idea ?

Whoa.. format? I think you should just clean the video driver out with a driver cleaner (www.3dchipset.com) and install say, the 82.12 drivers.. which are very solid.. I found the 81.98s were good, but didn't like Guild Wars too much.. so some games were not happy with them... anyways... it's also possible you have a heat issue... BF2 seems to stress video cards out like no other.. what kind of cooling do you have going on there? get some air inbetween those video cards if you can.. heat pools up in there. good luck!

You must ALWAYS have the EZ Plug installed WHEN using SLi, even if the cards themselves have power plugs.

If I were you, I would uninstall BF2, go to www.creative.com and download the newest X-fi drivers, and go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest nForce4 X16 platform drivers, as well as video card drivers. Next, I would uninstall all nVidia drivers from your system, run drivercleaner pro. Restart your computer, install your nForce4 platform drivers, restart, install videocard drivers, then install X-fi drivers. Then reinstall BF2.

Sounds complicated but it's probably what you need to do. Sounds like you are having massive driver conflicts and I have had this problem in the past. Also, just out of curiousity, go into your BIOS and check your Chipset multipliers. Make sure your K8 to NB and SB to NB are both set to the SAME multiplier.

What BIOS revision are you running also?

revenant said:
Whoa.. format? I think you should just clean the video driver out with a driver cleaner (www.3dchipset.com) and install say, the 81.12 drivers.. which are very solid.. I found the 81.98s were good, but didn't like Guild Wars too much.. so some games were not happy with them... anyways... it's also possible you have a heat issue... BF2 seems to stress video cards out like no other.. what kind of cooling do you have going on there? get some air inbetween those video cards if you can.. heat pools up in there. good luck!

Yeah I never said to Format his Hard Drive, I think he misunderstood. Obviously, english is not his main language but I'm doing my best to explain things clearly.

I dont have any probs with BF2 crashing on my A8N32 and 2xBFG 7800GTX's, with the 81.98 drivers. Im on Win x64 though. I too have a X-Fi and have the sound set to the highest. 1009 BIOS here.

As already posted, I would clean out the drivers again really good, and try to reinstall.

AppaYipYip said:
First of all, your Asus EZ Plug must always be connected when using SLi.

AppaYipYip said:
You must ALWAYS have the EZ Plug installed WHEN using SLi, even if the cards themselves have power plugs.

Actually, this is incorrect. You dont always have to, I dont have mine plugged in, and its working fine.

AppaYipYip said:
Yeah I never said to Format his Hard Drive, I think he misunderstood. Obviously, english is not his main language but I'm doing my best to explain things clearly.

It's all good... I wasn't thinking anything bad of you.. it's often tough to get suggestions clearly across here.. :)

PS: for the record, I meant 82.12s were solid.. not 81.12s. doh!

fallguy said:
I dont have any probs with BF2 crashing on my A8N32 and 2xBFG 7800GTX's, with the 81.98 drivers. Im on Win x64 though. I too have a X-Fi and have the sound set to the highest. 1009 BIOS here.

As already posted, I would clean out the drivers again really good, and try to reinstall.

Actually, this is incorrect. You dont always have to, I dont have mine plugged in, and its working fine.

Well you are doing something wrong, it must be connected. Don't believe me? Call Asus Tech support and ask them.

revenant said:
Whoa.. format? I think you should just clean the video driver out with a driver cleaner (www.3dchipset.com) and install say, the 82.12 drivers.. which are very solid.. I found the 81.98s were good, but didn't like Guild Wars too much.. so some games were not happy with them... anyways... it's also possible you have a heat issue... BF2 seems to stress video cards out like no other.. what kind of cooling do you have going on there? get some air inbetween those video cards if you can.. heat pools up in there. good luck!

my case has 7 fans 2 of them in front of the video cards and i also have heat problem with cpu and mb temp around 58 load i will try zalman cooler 9500 !

thank you all for the reply
one last question in nvidia nforce chipset driver what is nvidia audio do i have to install it ?

Super KW said:
thank you all for the reply
one last question in nvidia nforce chipset driver what is nvidia audio do i have to install it ?

I just installed everything buy default, EXCEPT the ActiveArmor stuff. That should be fine.

AppaYipYip said:
Well you are doing something wrong, it must be connected. Don't believe me? Call Asus Tech support and ask them.

That's not what it says in the manual dude.

The A8N32-SLI deluxe manual said:
ASUS EZ Plug
When using two graphics cards and a 20 pin ATX PSU or, if the two graphics cards do not have auxillary power.

Forthy said:
That's not what it says in the manual dude.

Well dude, I don't care what it says in there. A level 3 tech from Asus, Chris Lee, told me personally on the phone that it should always be connected regardless of what the manual says. Like I said, doubt me, well call them yourself and ask. :p

AppaYipYip said:

Heh, Im not doing anything wrong. Its working prefectly fine without the EZ plug. Dont believe me? Come over and see.

fallguy said:

Yeah, I was going to say--I have the 4-pin and the 24 pin on the MB connected. The two cards each have their connection. My EZ-plug is not connected and I'm running fine.
Z

is there some reason why you would not want to connect the EZ-Plug?
the cards are power hungry, that is why it is there.
if there was some performance gain by not using it, i might understand...
i am running a high end PSU and i have mine connected.

No ez plug = RED light on mobo

With ez plug =No red light

Red Light = Bad

No Red Light = Good :D

Back