SLI Question

gateh0use

n00b
greetings gents,

my friend was wondering whether it would be posisble for him to SLI together a MSI GeForce GTX 960 with his GTX 970 that he already has (not exactly sure which exact 970 he has, if it matters we can find out).

Thanks for your help! ;)

Nah.

nvidia SLI FAQ said:
Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs? No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

I believe you can use one for PhysX, but so far as I know no, you can't run SLI with different GPUs. Don't know why you'd want to run a 960 and 970 together anyway -- just tell him to save up a bit more or wait for a deal / buy used and get another 970! Or sell his current card and get a 980Ti.

You can mix manufacturers but you cannot mix card types. An GTX 970 with 3.5GB of memory must be match with another GTX 970 with 3.5GB of memory. You cannot mix a GTX 970 with 3.5GB with a GTX 970 with 4GB (unicorn) of memory.

You can go MSI with an Asus card or EVGA card, etc...

You can mix manufacturers but you cannot mix card types. An GTX 970 with 3.5GB of memory must be match with another GTX 970 with 3.5GB of memory. You cannot mix a GTX 970 with 3.5GB with a GTX 970 with 4GB (unicorn) of memory.

Not correct. You can pair cards together with differing memory amounts. They will just default the lower.

Ex: I can pair a 2gb 760 gtx with a 4gb card but only 2gb will be utilized or even listed in windows.

Not correct. You can pair cards together with differing memory amounts. They will just default the lower.

Ex: I can pair a 2gb 760 gtx with a 4gb card but only 2gb will be utilized or even listed in windows.

Be sure and let Nvidia know that.

The following was taken from Nvidia:

The Graphics Card

"If you've bought an NVIDIA GeForce GPU in the second half of the last decade or so, then chances are good that you already own an SLI-ready graphics card. There are also very few restrictions regarding what GPUs can be grouped together in SLI: only the model and memory amounts have to match. For example, a GTX 580 with 1.5GB of memory could only be paired with another GTX 580 that has 1.5GB of memory, and a GTX 690 only with another GTX 690. Beyond that, manufacturers can be mixed (e.g. ASUS with MSI, EVGA with PNY,) clock speeds may vary (stock versus factory-overclocked,) the VGA BIOS for each card can be different, and no special drivers or software is required."

As the above poster said, it has not worked this way in a very long time.

What are you talking about? It has 4GB. Please dont rehash this bs.

The way to explain this is that the device IDs must match. So the same GPU must be on each board. If you have different memory amounts or different clocks on those two, thats fine, but they will be matched at the value that is the lower of the two GPUs.

Combining dissilimar gpu models would be dumb as it inherently leads to uncorrectable microstutter in AFR.

I do believe clock speed wise though your sli will match the lowest clocked card if you have two different speeds.

What are you talking about? It has 4GB. Please dont rehash this bs.

The way to explain this is that the device IDs must match. So the same GPU must be on each board. If you have different memory amounts or different clocks on those two, thats fine, but they will be matched at the value that is the lower of the two GPUs.

Combining dissilimar gpu models would be dumb as it inherently leads to uncorrectable microstutter in AFR.

/sigh. Learn to take a joke.

Back