SLI question.

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
I bid on a videocard on Ebay and won it. I have a 9800gt 512mb evga version. The card I won was 9800gt 512mb also, but its an XFX version. I wanted to know if theyll work in sli mode, though they are 2 diff brands.

Also will an OCZ Modstream 520w handle them with the stuff in my sig?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yes you can sli those togerher. No I would not try that ps woth 2 9800's.

520 watts would be fine as long as you don't have a bunch of fans and lights in your case.

The only fans i have are the front an exhaust fan in the back. i dont hhave any lights in my case. if i cant run them in slo mode bc of power issues then i rather sell it than buy a new psu right now.

i didnt think my high bid would of won, but it did.

You do have a SLI capable motherboard and SLI bridge that came with it?

P.S. Your sig doesn't show up.

Check the amps that your PSU is supplying to the 12+V rails. If it's less than 26amps, I'd get another PSU before you try and run SLI.
Those two cards will run fine together regardless of manufacturer. The PSU is the issue here.

The only fans i have are the front an exhaust fan in the back. i dont hhave any lights in my case. if i cant run them in slo mode bc of power issues then i rather sell it than buy a new psu right now.

i didnt think my high bid would of won, but it did.

So you bid on it but didn't want to win?

I'm guessing he said what the hell and hit the bid button since he didn't think he would get it for that price? Since he did he's gonna roll with it? Not a bad idea just I would not feel comfortable with that power supply for those 2 cards in my system is all. It's border line at best for that system imo with sli 9800's.

So you bid on it but didn't want to win?

I'm guessing he said what the hell and hit the bid button since he didn't think he would get it for that price? Since he did he's gonna roll with it? Not a bad idea just I would not feel comfortable with that power supply for those 2 cards in my system is all. It's border line at best for that system imo with sli 9800's.

I put a max bid of $75 in and they were going for $85 or more. So yea, it was at $64 and I said what the hell and put $75 as my max bid. $74 won it. Not that bad of a price really.

Anyways, how do I check the amps being supplied to my 12+V rails?

Your motherboard doesn't support SLI. Though the card could be added and ran as a PhysX card.

What he heck? LOL! I thought it did. It has 3 PCIe slots. One is 4x and the other is 1x. Damn, I'm a moron, lol. I don't think I'd benefit from it much as a physics card, so I'll probably just sell it. I'm sure I'll get my money back.

Hell, I'll probably just sell both the 9800GT's and get a 260GTX for the same price.

I used to have an Asus P5n-e or something llike that. It did support it. I just thought this one did too.

Yep, you should be able to resell it. Don't feel bad. We've all had brainfarts. :p

Back