SLI Problem

Focker

Gawd
Just got doen doing my first complete build and everything seems to be going pretty well, except for trying to install video drivers.

Board: Gigabyte GA-K8N SLI
Video Cards: 2 Gigabyte 6600gt's

When installing the driver, it'll install the first driver for the first card just fine, but when (I assume) it tries to install the driver for the 2nd card the screen goes black and I end up having to reset the pc. So in device manager it's showing one 6600gt, and the other as generic vga compatible etc.

Anyone else ran into this problem? Should I disable the SLI on the board and then install the drivers and then re-enable SLI? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would say install one card and the drivers, then put the other card in and enable sli in the driver applet. However, I have no experience doing this and I could be full of shit.

During the driver install it does go black for a second or two, it is normal, I hope you are not reseting at this time.

No, it stays black. I have driver installed for both now but one is disabled in the device manager and when I enable it screen goes black...

I would test each card on its own in single card mode to ensure that you don't have a bad card on your hands.

99% sure it's not a installation or hardware problem, I'm guessing it's a bios problem of some sort. Found another person who had the problem come up after he had it working correctly.

Alrighty, I've got a nifty little problem on my hands... When I start the computer, everything runs fine (BIOS is stable, all drives spin, power is fine) until I get to a screen where I should be able to select between Windows 2000 and Windows XP (since I like both). This is, as you may have guessed, before it boots into Windows (of either kind). However, as of last night, I no longer get this screen, and instead, all I get is a nice black, well, screen, for lack of a better term. So here's my rig to date: (all stock settings)
Link Depot 550w PSU
AMD FX-53
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
(Dual) Asus EN6800 Ultras
GeIL 4000+ (1 gig in dual channel slots 2 and 4)
Western Digital 120 gig hd (Slave)
Maxtor 80 gig (boot)
Sony 16x DVD-ROM

Don't know what I did to make this happen, the last thing I remember doing was installing the new 75.90 Forceware drivers for my card, however, I'm pretty sure those weren't the problem, because for those of you who have SLI, you know that whenever you install new drivers, you have to restart twice, once to activate the drivers, and a second time when Windows prompts you to "Enable SLI Mode". And the problem didn't occur until the second boot, when you have to restart to enable SLI. Other than that, I was fooling around with some clock settings for the CPU and Memory, and although I realize the potential for disaster in doing so, the motherboard has a nifty feature that will tell you when you've passed the limit on OCing, and makes you downgrade your settings. So I doubt either of those were the true problem, and I tried resetting CMOS... twice, but to no avail. Also I tried booting from my XP CD, but no such luck, it tells me it's detecting my hardware (settings) but then goes immediately to the same black screen. So, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

So any of you smart folks have any ideas?

Have you tried multiple driver revisions? Used Driver Cleaner to rid of the old ones? Did you have a different video card in this system before this? Are you using the latest nForce drivers? If the BIOSes are different than you may have to flash the BIOS of one card to the other.

Bios on both are the same. I can switch which card I use by going to safe mode and disabling one and enabling the other, but when I enable both I get a black screen. Should the cards be using 8x PCI or 16x PCI?

Back