• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SLI Power supply battle.

ThrawnFile

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
70
I've recently been burned by the Ultra X-Connect's lack of connectors and stiff cableing. Not to mention I bought a 24pin MB and two PCIe cards...

So before I drop 200+ on a new PSU I would like some feedback.
Enermax Noisetaker AX SLI Master Modular 600 Watt PSU vs PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Ultra SLI

I like the PCAC due to the slightly higher 12v rail, but the Enermax looks to have better cooling, higher wattage, and dual 12v rails (rated at 18amp each).

Other than that, both have dual 6 pin video power and 24pin+P4 connectors. Ample power points for all these damn fans and ccls I have.
 
PC Power and Cooling is SLI certified. Don't know bout Enermax. PC Power WILL work but has the 20-24 pin adapter :(
 
Are you sure, the pc-pac looks like 24 pins on the connector to me. I think the 20/24 is misleading.
 
that Enermax is completely outclassed by the PCP&C
it doesnt even come close

the PCP&C has far more watts\amps, far tighter load regulation, far cleaner power
specs are often deceptive, in this case the PCP&C is rated at 40C,
which is definately higher by some amount over that of the Enermax
and the higher the temperature the more capacity is lost
for comparitive purposes consider the PCP&C a 650 watt


but get the SLi version with a 24 pin main and an 8 pin auxillary
(In other words SLi EPS12V)

the ATX12V spec is rumored to be changing again
and then employ whatever adapter you need to to use it with your board
 
PCP&C supply is rated for that wattage/amperage minimum at 40C.

Enermax takes its ratings at 25C

The pcp&c also has a native 24 pin with an extra 24-20 converter in the box if you need it.

If I were to purchase another PSU, I'd go with the PCP&C again. Its just a solid piece of equipment in every aspect.

Enermax's specs indicate a 5% voltage regulation vs pcp&c's 1% on the 5 and 12v rails. enermax has a combined 12v1 and 12v2 of 35A where pcp&c delivers 38.

Total outclassing of the enermax. :)

enermax spcs
PCP%C Specs
Ice, I seem to remember the pcp&c rated at 40C but on their website, they've up'd it to 50C or am I missing something?
 
So would it be wise to hit that order button on performance-pcs tonight and hope that I can have a brand new PSU by friday/monday? I've been reading some other independant reviews and there was some negative speak on PC-Power and Cooling's 510. Things like the ripple frequency, and the guage of the wires being too puny. I'm not confidant in my electrical engeneering skills to rewire an 18 guage PSU to 10 guage.

Just for referance, I'm trying to run:

Athlon 64 4000+
ASUS A8N-SLI
2x XFX 6800GT's
2gb of OCZ 3200 (2-2-2-5)
2x WDC Raptors (74gb)
Plextor dual layer DVD burnder (SATA)
3 120mm deltas
2 120mm fans (whatever came with this Lian-Li)
and... A floppy.

I'm not looking to do any over clocking yet. Just want a stable gaming machine to run all these titles that I've been missing for four years.
 
see sig + 10 drives :p

and its 16AWG if I remember correctly, you certainly wouldnt need or want 10 :p
personally I order direct from PCP&C and there are alot more custom options available
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/custom_options/index.htm

as I said get the 8 pin
see the Hold the Phone Sticky Thread at the top of the board

the Enermax has far worse AC Ripple, they are of just basic spec compliance
\meaning 50mV on the 3.3&5, and 120mV on the +12V

while the PCP&C is 10mV on all three
 
The 8pin you refer to is like the current 4pin (P4) aux connector? If so wouldn't i have to get an adaptor for that?
 
ThrawnFile said:
The 8pin you refer to is like the current 4pin (P4) aux connector? If so wouldn't i have to get an adaptor for that?

well probably
you can hook it directly its simply a double 4 pin (2 extra +12V & 2 Grounds), but the clip wouldnt line up
a spot of hot glue would address that though
(as veiwed from the clip side of the connector youd need clearance to the right for an additional 4 pins)
I have a few 24 pin EPS12V supplies running 20 pin boards w\ 4 pin +12V auxillaries
pulled in directly (2U supplies in rackmounts)

the rumored change is likely to address supplying the increased PCI-E spec
and would remove the last difference in connectors at least between Server System Infrastructure specs and Form Factor specs

and since Intel is the driving force behind each
well I take this particular rumor very seriously as it make way too much sense
 
ThrawnFile said:
So would it be wise to hit that order button on performance-pcs tonight and hope that I can have a brand new PSU by friday/monday? I've been reading some other independant reviews and there was some negative speak on PC-Power and Cooling's 510. Things like the ripple frequency, and the guage of the wires being too puny. I'm not confidant in my electrical engeneering skills to rewire an 18 guage PSU to 10 guage.

Wow, every review I've come across has the PCP&C walking across water (well, not really) but I cant find a negative review of them. What reviews did you see?
 
Bullitt said:
Wow, every review I've come across has the PCP&C walking across water (well, not really) but I cant find a negative review of them. What reviews did you see?


sort of wondering that myself
in the extreme stress testing that MaximumPC did (a flawed but indicative review)
The PCP&C was the only supply that didnt even blink when a 50VAC brownout was replicated, maintaining a stable 12.08V throughout

all but one other supply shutdown

Id also point out that the Enermax EG701AX isnt their SLi heavy hitter (irregardless of it "new" name)
the EG565 series supplies where the SLi oriented ones till very recently,
and I havent seen them out on the market yet
the Noisetakers just recently got the SLi "upgrade"
 
Well, I suppose I'll order it tonight. Just got back from the gym and that always helps me clear my head.

Now to try and snake all these cables around the tight case. Lian-Li PC7+ is great construction, but damn if its small.
 
Since you already orderd, this will probably make you feel better. PC power wont tell you this but the first PSU they sent was certified by nvidia. Enermax, OCZ and some others are still sending nvidia PSU's five and six at a time to be certifed and NONE have passed.I dont know what nvidia does for the test but a smaller company like PC power goes up against these guys and all there PSU's have not even made the grade, plus pc power is local you made a good choice.

Also whats the deal with your location are you a crew chief on bombers or are you just ammo. Please dont tell me your an SP
 
ThrawnFile said:
2CS, Network Tech (in training) Barksdale AFB.
im a 2E2, computer, network, cryptograph, and switching systems (WVANG) still @ keesler AFB also still in training for my 3 level. a guy from my class will be heading towards ur way when we grad in 2 weeks,he will be perminant party and will be working on SACCS.


oh yeah id reccommend the Turbocooled as they r the best PSUs
 
C-130h-3 crew chief for four years, i scored 95 on mechanical part of asvap so i got screwed out of a computer job. You guys are lucky i have a permanent tan from being in the desert so much. Make sure you guys get your CCAF before you seperate, doesnt seem like much when your in but when you get out that degree is gold, also make sure you get every cert you can while your in, have a friend that i went through basic with and he did computer networking sucure satcom and some other crap. With the ccaf he had and cert's, (2 weeks after getting out) $90,000 a year, hot wife, cars etc. I hate him so much, sorry to rant keep up the good work guys always good to see Air Force
 
Saw all the AFSC's while browsing through, had to post (go hijack!).

1W051A here, trained at the Keesler weather school, National Guard out of Fort Worth TX, working for undisclosed Army special ops types :). Oh and sister's an active guardsman crewcheif on the C130's out here- lucky girl got the same bonus with half the ASVAB (I was a 98 overall, but 'computers' was no bonus, and weather was total bonus, plus work with army).

Oh and yeah, I like my Sparkle for cheap + quiet + rock solid. Too bad I got out of the overclocking + SLI + RAID from hell etc. stuff, I'd be really needing this information- now, it's just interesting :)
 
.hijack
Well, now that we are spitting out AFSCs. 3C231, Tech Controller. I'm on the network floor, but we also work on almost all base wide comm. hardware when it comes to computers. I've even troubleshot a few SACCS lines, nasty shit. If I can ever get off the damn comp and finish my CDCs I could have my 5 level soon. Too bad you have to be an NCO to test for 7.

God I hated Keesler, as training bases go it's not bad-but not as a student. I scored 93 on elec, 80 something on mech, and 75+ on everything else.

Missed my 6k bonus by 2 months... And they completely too away the re-up bounus for this career when I was in tech. Some of the prior service jumped on it right before.
./hijack

Anyway, PSU sould come in Monday. Expect pictures or my attempt at wire management and questions as to how I optimize BIOS and XP settings.
 
I agree, Keesler blows as a student- and it's only getting worse, we find out as new trainees get back...
 
If I remember right from a review I saw once the only thing that could beat the PCP&C supplies on voltage stability was an Antec TruePower 550. It was really close though, and Antec doesn't have anything to match the output of the TurboCool 510. In "normal manufacturer speak", the 510's a 650W. If you really want a mad powerful PSU, PCP&C has an 850 (or something along those lines of insanity) that'll be available in a few weeks. My understanding is it's already shipping, but OEMs are sucking up all the available units at the moment so the regular people have to wait.
 
Back
Top