ASUS 775 board
QX9650
8GB DDR2
EVGA 560Ti Classified

I'm moving him to:
EVGA 1150 board
i5-4670 (Non K)
16GB DDR3

He's fine with his current card, but I'm wondering if there's an upgrade somewhere that wouldn't run too much. He does game, on one 23" Samsung LED I gave him, at 1080P. He plays stuff like FarCry 3, Metro 2033, and others of the like.

I see I can get a matched 560Ti like his for abour $100. Is it worth it to go SLI, or should I maybe sell his and get something around the $200 mark? He'd also be fine with keeping his setup, but I'd prefer to get him something that he'll get a few more years out of, as he's disabled and video games help him pass time.

Thanks in advance!

You could score a used HD7950 on ebay for $120 .. just look thru seller's feedback as to how many they have sold already which tells you there mining cards or not and was the card an upgrade for them..

I got lucky and my card wasn't a miner and is 4 months old and looks brand new for $119 shipped.. I saw the card the seller upgraded from as they sold it 4 months ago.. seller feedback can tell you a lot.

No point in going SLI. 1GB of vram probably isn't enough these days. Sell the 560ti. As the guy above me said AMD cards are dirt cheap right now. Especially used 7950s, 7970s, 290s and 290xs. 7970s might be the sweet spot as I've seen them go for as little as $125. You can find used 290s for $230ish.

I would upgrade to the fastest single card you can afford at this point.

If he wants to stick with NVIDIA the GTX 670 and GTX 760 are in the same tier as the AMD 7950. GTX 670s go for around $150-$200 on eBay, and the GTX 760 can get as low as $220 brand new after rebates.

Sounds good, thanks guys! It does make more sense to get a 7950, I didn't realize they were so low. I'll chat with him and see how he feels about it. I don't think he cares much about the GPU manufacturer, as long as it does what he wants it to.

If I sell the 560Ti he's got for like $60-$70, that should help cover some of the cost. It's the 448 core one, with 1.2GB of RAM.

its a wash on which is better, radeons have been selling for less cost then many GTX in the same bracket of performance, also it is for tri-monitor, something the radeons with the wider bus generally do slightly better at and generally have done better at multi-screen not counting 3d and crud like that :p something to keep in mind though any except the very high end single card/multi-card have troubles "gaming" insane resolutions. There are cards from both makers that can drive multiple monitors via just HDMI, its worth looking at any options available is it not?

Agree with the masses on this one, 7950 should be around x2 as fast as a 560ti plus you have the benefit of bumping up to 3gb of vram. Like you said $60-$70 is what you should expect to sell it for and you can pretty easily find a non-ref 7950 in the $125 range and if you can't I'll gladly sell you one.

damn I wish needed a card right now/had the $ for one, I would so get a non ref 7950 for $125 to replace my awesome 7870. 525 core 650 memory running .84 volts can game no problems :)

Back