sli gtx570's idling in game? 30% gpu usage, 15fps in WoW lol!

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
For some reason I am getting lower FPS in of all things WoW lately...

2560x1600 with 2 gtx570's at stock due to throttling, I'm seeing sometimes 30% usage and getting 15fps when I know I shouldn't be and haven't before. I'm running an i7 system @4.0, 285.79 drivers and I even have nvidia control panel set to performance.

Its as if the gpu's aren't recognizing when I tab back from my second monitor and are leaving it at 2d instead of 3d application.

Also once in a while I'm getting a weird speaker and headphone crackling, and when this happens my FPS dips to 20fps in places where it usually is 120-140. My speakers and headphones are using two separate USB DAC's, and I'm not sure where the source of the problem is.

Really, I shouldn't be getting fps dips like this.... also couldn't run BF3 on ultra, sadface. Really makes me want to try and sell them both for 500$ and grab two 6950's or 6970's.

WoW corrupts your brain (and apparently your video card, lol) play LOTRO instead. :p

If you're getting crackling sounds from the speakers/headphones, that is an indicator of a power issue or a short somewhere which can lead to some very serious problems. I would start by trying a more powerful PSU and seeing if that helps.

Upon further research, I have some more advice for you. Try checking your hard drive for errors. It is common to experience a performance degradation and hear crackling noises when the hard drive attempts to read bad sectors. Also, you wouldn't happen to be running comodo, would you? Apparently, many comodo users are reporting such problems due to it having a memory dump issue. I stopped using comodo a few months back because I was having to jump through hoops to upgrade the damn thing. I am now back to using the windows firewall + advanced systemcare instead - couldn't be happier with my decision. :)

No comodo. Also I'm running win7, my OS drive is two SSD's in raid0 and I have a HDD dedicated to steam and one dedicated to music/movies and some applications I didn't want on SSD. Probably reformatting this weekend but only the OS drive.

My PSU is a 1000watt corsair. I'd really hope its not psu related, but again the issue is very infrequent and usually happens around the time I alt tab out or in at random. It happens maybe every other day.

My main concern is the FPS drop and 30% gpu usage in WoW. There is no reason my build should be struggling ever in a game like that. Not with how well BF3 preforms.

Last edited:
For some reason I am getting lower FPS in of all things WoW lately...

2560x1600 with 2 gtx570's at stock due to throttling, I'm seeing sometimes 30% usage and getting 15fps when I know I shouldn't be and haven't before. I'm running an i7 system @4.0, 285.79 drivers and I even have nvidia control panel set to performance.

Its as if the gpu's aren't recognizing when I tab back from my second monitor and are leaving it at 2d instead of 3d application.

Also once in a while I'm getting a weird speaker and headphone crackling, and when this happens my FPS dips to 20fps in places where it usually is 120-140. My speakers and headphones are using two separate USB DAC's, and I'm not sure where the source of the problem is.

Really, I shouldn't be getting fps dips like this.... also couldn't run BF3 on ultra, sadface. Really makes me want to try and sell them both for 500$ and grab two 6950's or 6970's.

check out THIS post about WOW and Quads

A few days ago I noticed while playing WOW I had core4 running at 70-90%, while the other 3 cores were hovering at or around 10-15%. I changed the SET processAffinityMask in the WTF/Config folder in wow and it helped a TON. Now I have core 3 and core 4 running at 40-60% at all times. WOW will only use 2 of your 4 cores for most of the stuff running. I believe If you have an i7 the correct setting is SET processAffinityMask "84".
This should help your fps some, also I would recommend locking your fps @60 in WOW and make sure you have v-sync turned off and also make sure you have DX11 enabled in the graphics settings in WOW. My system is way older then yours, using a 9800GTX card and I can get 60fps almost everywhere, only dropping below that in a large raid or when there's lots of spam. Your system should be raping the game with all the game settings on "ultra".

I have very little experience with SLI/Crossfire, but you may want to check out THIS post about Micro-stuttering with SLI and Crossfire displays. I have no idea if that is your problem, but you may want to try running 1 card and see if it makes a difference, (if its that big of deal to you).

I recently build my son a new gaming rig on an AMD1100T w/Radeon 6870 card and he runs WOW with all settings on "Ultra" as well as BF3 and they both run flawless with the 1 card.

Are you using afterburner, rivatuner, EVGA precision or any of the other variants?

I have noticed that sometimes when usiung those programs my cards can get stuck in a downclocked state, and will only run at the middle clocked state, like 400 MHz or whatever it is.

speaker and or headphone cracking: do you use a frontal sound hub of some sort in your case?... when i saw that the culprit was a faulty//almost broken cable acting up.

My CPU's are all running at normal usage/temps, nothing out of the ordinary.

Are you using afterburner, rivatuner, EVGA precision or any of the other variants?

I have noticed that sometimes when usiung those programs my cards can get stuck in a downclocked state, and will only run at the middle clocked state, like 400 MHz or whatever it is.

I'm using Afterburner but I only open it if I feel like something is wrong. It is showing all clocks to be correct, just strange usage. WoW just doesn't cope well with Sli, but I'd still like to have more consistent frame rates. Like right now, 200fps, sometimes even in heavy load areas I'll still be 120... but then at times itll drop to 20-40, and I feel it shouldn't.

speaker and or headphone cracking: do you use a frontal sound hub of some sort in your case?... when i saw that the culprit was a faulty//almost broken cable acting up.

I don't use any sort of thing like that. My mobo wires are all plugged into the default places, and both of my sound sources come out of USB dacs. Headphones have an amp, speakers just a usb dac so I can have multiple outputs. No outputs going directly into mobo.

Back