SLI bridge question

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Evil Scooter, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

Been a few years since I've run SLI, do the "old" flexible SLI bridges still work on the new 10 series cards or do I need to spend a few more $ on one of the newer fixed "X" slot bridges?

2. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

The flexi bridges still work on Pascal. I believe there are videos and articles out there that tested the difference between using the HB bridge and flexi bridge. Frame times were slightly better with the HB bridge, improving minimum FPS by 1 or 2, so nothing earth shattering if you stick to the old bridge.

3. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

4. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

^^^ Thanks for the linky~dinky. Dual connectors needed for just 2 cards?

Quick follow up for SLI users. I'll be adding a EVGA 1080ti FTW to my system in siggy. Right now my monitors are connected to the 1080ti black, any advantage pluggin them into the FTW? The FTW has slightly better cooling.

5. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

No idea the one that came with one of my Asus boards was the same as that one.

Said hb bridge had 4 connections

6. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

That's how they doubled the bandwidth from 1 to 2 GB/s.

You should plug your monitors into whichever is going to be card #1. Just remember that your FTW will downclock itself to the Black, or the lowest common denominator in the SLI setup, so effectively it won't matter which one is card #1.

AlphaQup likes this.
  7. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

The High Bandwidth bridge completely eliminates sli microstutter. That was the whole purpose.

Go and get a generic one on eBay or amazon. Don't use the old flexi ones anymore.

8. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

Well that's good news and a decent reason to drop a few more bucks if needed.

Follow up on SLI.. seems to be an ongoing debate whether or not PCIE 16x vs 8x has significant impact on performance. Maybe I should start new thread but I'll give it a go here first. My 5820k has 28 pcie lanes which means the gpu's should run 16x and 8x with the last 4pcie lanes going to my m.2 boot drive. For the record I really like my 5820k.. whether it's sheer silicon lotto luck or good cooling I'm able to run at 4.4ghz at stock volts. I can drop a 6850k in this rig and get 40 pcie lanes for a few hundred bucks.. no guarantee I'll get a similar OC. All things being equal.. worth it for the extra pcie lanes and 16 x 16 operation of two 1080ti's pushing 3 x 32" monitors @ 7680x1440?

9. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

Honestly, I wouldnt invest a large amount in an SLI rig as the support for it has been hit or miss. I find some titles are exception and some are ok but most do not even work.

However, if you are running PCIe 3.0 then the bandwidth even at 8x can't be fully saturated by even a 1080ti. I have two of them and 16/8 config and the cards absolutely fly. Not worth getting a super expensive SkyLake X or Threadripper chip to take advantage of 16/16.

My 7820x can run 16/8 all day long @ 4.7ghz and it absolutely flies though for the last 3 months I haven't even used SLI at all. My second 1080ti just looks pretty but does nothing else for me right now. As I have been playing Elite Dangerous and other low impact games lately but I am keeping my SLI setup as more titles come out that do support it I will again use it.

Armenius likes this.
  10. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

^^ I hear you, many of the games I am currently playing do very well with sli and I've already experienced some instances where my rates drop to 0 pushing 3 monitors in multiplayer. Soo.. SLI it is. Looks like my current setup with the M.2 drive and my sound card in my last full length pcie slot will run at 8x/8x/8x on the pcie slots and the remaining 4 channels go to the m.2 drive. If that is the case I should be ok.. if not I'll probably end up booting for a CPU with 40 pcie lanes. Thanks for the reply!