Sleeving SATA Power Cables

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a Corsair 720HX that I'm sleeving. I've run into an issue regarding the connector orientation. Long story short, I assume that it matters what order the cables go in?

Alright, just as I thought. Crappy thing about the Corsair PSUs is no color coding on the SATA cables.

The issue I'm having is that the connector is upside down. So, the power cable would have to go up over the top of the drives. So, I should just be able to flip the connectors and then reverse the order and I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the link too!

If I was doing it I'd probablly test with a multimeter after reordering the wires and before putting the covers on the back of the connectors (assuming they are IDC style ones) to make sure I hadn't screwed up the wiring.

In general I'd much rather have color coded wires, this recent trend towards single color wiring just seems like it will increase the chance of screwups (either in the factory or by users who choose to remove the connectors for custom sleeving) and screwing up the wiring could easily kill a drive.

Luckily I have a PSU tester than can test the individual power connectors as well. I'd agree as well, I would much rather have the color coded wires. Not sure why they're going towards the single colored wires. And the odd thing is that it's only on the drive power connectors.

Luckily I have a PSU tester than can test the individual power connectors as well.
And does that PSU tester actually measure voltage? or at least have some method of indicating if you've put the wrong voltage rail on a pin?

Back