Sleeving question

Deltief

Limp Gawd
I hope this in the right place.

I have a question

I want to sleeve my psu cables, I have the HX 850 and the pci-e cables running to my gpu have a bump thing wrapped in heat shrink about an inch from where the cables plug into the gpu. I hope somebody knows the part Im talking about. Whats under there and is it okay to cut it off so I can sleeve these cables? :confused:

you can take them off. i did with mine, looked up first if it was okay... can't remember what the reasoning was but they don't do anything much. something about helping with interference of some sort that isn't really big issue in the first place....

They're designed to filter out excess high frequencies which can cause coil whine if they get back to the psu.
In practice I don't think they should do much on a good psu. Everyone who individually sleeves removes them.

They are called ferrite beads or electric chokes if you wanted to know more.

They're designed to filter out excess high frequencies which can cause coil whine if they get back to the psu.
In practice I don't think they should do much on a good psu. Everyone who individually sleeves removes them.

They are called ferrite beads or electric chokes if you wanted to know more.

This!

I don't think you have anything to be worried about with a Corsair HX series PSU. Go ahead and remove them when you sleeve. Good luck! I sleeved an HX750 and it was a PITA, at least for me. It's worth it though.

Individual sleeving is very tedious indeed.
I did the job on my current Corsair AX 1200 and it took me 6 months!

There's a great tutorial somewhere in these forums: I think this is it.......read it, it's by far the best I've come across........I followed it when I did mine.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1599965

I also invested in MDPC-X tools and sleeve......it is the best anywhere, period. You'll also want to buy the MDPC-X crimp tool. You will not find a better one.

If you don't want to do the work, Corsair sells kits, but I think their kits are for completely modular supplies.

What I'd recommend you do, if you have the space in your case, is to make extensions, that way you don't have to break the ceramic beads on the end of your connectors, and you still get the experience of sleeving.

I also invested in MDPC-X tools and sleeve......it is the best anywhere, period. You'll also want to buy the MDPC-X crimp tool. You will not find a better one.

What I'd recommend you do, if you have the space in your case, is to make extensions, that way you don't have to break the ceramic beads on the end of your connectors, and you still get the experience of sleeving.

Lutro0-customs also sells a decent set of tools. I have his custom crimp tool which works rather nice.

I would love MDPC-X myself but I went with paracord to start with. I think it still looks extremely nice when done right. It just needs patience and an attention for detail. Also, I'll probably have to make extensions for this psu because going into this I wanted to to the heatshrinkless method totally forgetting that there are double wires and a split 24 pin that plugs into the psu.

i personally thing para cord is the best. easiest to get heatshrinkless (can't stand the look of heat shrink) cheap as fuck, and i think it just looks a ton better then even the best sleeves out there.

I've watched all lutros videos and planned on getting the mdpc sleeves in aquamarine and the precut shrink wrap, thanks for all the help guys.

One last question
After I remove the ferrite beads is there a way to make the wires straight? They have ... Memory of being crimped together and I don't want to sleeve them just to have bent looking sleeves.

One last question
After I remove the ferrite beads is there a way to make the wires straight? They have ... Memory of being crimped together and I don't want to sleeve them just to have bent looking sleeves.

You should be able to reshape the wires a little. I was having trouble with mine but its because they aren't all exactly the same length. you might have to cut some of then down and put new pins on them.

That's why with my 24 pin atx cable being so custom for the XFX PSU I'm most likely going to have to ditch sleeving the whole thing and just making my own extension to make it look perfect.

i personally thing para cord is the best. easiest to get heatshrinkless (can't stand the look of heat shrink) cheap as fuck, and i think it just looks a ton better then even the best sleeves out there.

After you bend and fold paracord a couple times let me know how you feel. especially without any shrink.:eek:

Lutro0-customs also sells a decent set of tools. I have his custom crimp tool which works rather nice.

I would love MDPC-X myself but I went with paracord to start with. I think it still looks extremely nice when done right. It just needs patience and an attention for detail. Also, I'll probably have to make extensions for this psu because going into this I wanted to to the heatshrinkless method totally forgetting that there are double wires and a split 24 pin that plugs into the psu.

That's easily solved.

Here are more pics of the finished extensions. Working on another full PSU now with red and black CORELESS paracord.

Awesome, I hope I can achieve that level of quality. That's pretty much how I want everything to look. Nice and clean.

That's easily solved.

/snip

Very impressive! I was very please with MDPC-X but the look of no heat shrink looks even better. Plus that will be far less tedious. Thanks for the information guys. For my next build I'm going to get an AX-1200 and I'm going to sleeve it using paracord!

@modder

Just for clarification.......those photos are typical nylon sleeve, they are NOT paracord, right.;)

MDPC-X >paracord anyday, imho.;)

MDPC-X surpasses any sleeve I have yet to find in the US.

Too bad you have to order it from Munich, in euros, and only when Nils has the shop open.

Can't wait to see the that! Good thing I won't need to do any sleeving for myself for a while.

Nice, It'll be interesting to try sleeving with some of the new stuff. I've started getting a better handle on the heatshrinkless method for paracord. It took a while to get just the right amount of handling to get a perfect melt on the cord in just the right spot.

IMO, Color-X, Black and Titanium MDPC-X look closer to a match of ROG colors. I have some left over if you want me to make you some. :)

That would be awesome but I purchased just what I needed to get into sleeving on my computer before I get into making cables for others. Wish I had some MDPC-X but the paracord doesn't look too shabby either. I'll post some picks when I'm finished.

Like I mentioned earlier I didn't purchase any heatshrink like an idiot for the double wire while going for the shrinkless method with paracord. I might skip sleeving the whole thing and make an extension for the 24pin which has the most double wire.

Does anyone have some good photos that show the different brands next to each other? I have some FTWPC paracord and pet sleeving. I just ordered some Lutro0 sleeve and paracord. I've never seen MDPC in person.

I guess the FTWPC comparison doesn't matter as they are gone now. But a Lutro0 MDPC comparison would be nice.

FTW PC is dead. After the founder of the company left, the new owner took several thousand dollars of people's money and ran. Hasn't been heard from in months. FTW PC's PET sleeving was made to try to duplicate MDPC-X but failed hard. The supplier couldn't get the weave right and it ended up being too loose and fat, though it did look nice if you could get a wire big enough to completely fill the inner diameter. The paracord they used is available here. All they did was resell it at a higher price to drive (or try to drive) business.

I have some MDPC-X scraps laying around if you'd like to sample some, along with a tiny bit of Lutro0's coreless paracord. PM me if you want a little bit. :)

I have a shit ton of FTW pet. I would be glad to give it away, it sucked compared to MDPC-X.

I ordered it before I had my X.

I also have samples of MDPC-X in a lot of colors, but you need to see it and work with it to appreciate how much better it is than what else it available.

I'll be interested to see this LutroO guys top line product.
I do like his videos and I bought a couple of his clippers.

I still like heatshrink though.:p

I want to do a side by side as well of the lutro0 stuff and various other types including tech flex clean cut

I still need to purchase a bundle of heatshrink for everything else I plan on sleeving but I just bought a small pack for $2 at walmart so I could at least finish the 2x 6pin pci-e cables. Figured I'd post a pic :p

IMG_20130422_223953.jpg

The great thing about paracord is you can do it without any heatshrink at all. That looks great :)

Anyone have suggestions on the best place to get heatshrink? I forgot to order some from LutoO when I ordered my sleeving and now they are sold out, plus they have a $25 minimum.

My local walmart doesn't carry any.

Ahh, yeah I'll have to check radio shack as well. Lutro0 said he was out of stock this week but he should have more heat shrink (and a new type of shrink) in his shop as early as the end of this month. He realistically expected to have it early May and I'm looking forward to finally making another purchase of supplies from him so I can get more work done.

if you have a Frys near you go there. Electriduct.com has heatshrink in co lors, though it isn't MDPC-X quality but it will get you by in a pinch. Home Depot has a small variety of it as well.

Back