• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

sleeving my psu cables....help

toader

n00b
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
10
Hi everyone.

I just ordered a new power supply and some of those vantec nylon cable sleeving kit.

The kit came with different sized nylon cable sleeves that expand a little when you push them together and contract when you pull on them (in diameter). Problem is, I dunno how to get these sleeves over the cables of my power supply with the white connectors still on the ends. The sleeves dont expand that large.

The only thing I can think of is to cut and splice every single wire, slide the sleeves on and then reconnect the connector to the wires with splices. Well, I dont even trust ONE wire spliced, let alone every single one on my new PSU.

I really wanna wrap my psu cables somehow for a good clean look, but I dont wanna have to cut and splice every single wire on my new psu. Anyone have any suggestions or another product that might work better? Something that starts out very large diameter and heat shrinks down maybe?

Thanks for any ideas.

-toader
 
um all you have to do is remove the molex (the white connector) and then slide the sleeves on and then put the molex back on. There is no splicing of wires involved. main thing is just make sure you put the wires back into the molex the same way they came out or you can kiss what ever you plug into it good bye. check google for some guides on how to do this, there are plenty out there.

JEEVES
 
yea, Ive been looking around and I found a molex remover tool.

Are they hard to use? Obviously I will be really careful on getting all the right wires back in the right slots....

What should I be aware of when removing pins and not damaging them?

Also, there are some that arent molex...

One is SATA I think, there are 2 smaller ones also, that arent the same as the rest, and one little square one also. Should I just leave those on and try to slip a sleeve over them? Or is there another tool to remove those?

Sorry to sound like a fool, this is just the first computer that Ive put together that Ive worried about what the inside looks like. Im trying to take some pride here and do it right. Ive been inspired by some of the clean cases some people show around here. Thanks for the help.

-toader
 
Do what Jeeves said.

Go to your local Radio Shack and buy one of these.
It is well worth the price since you will use it on future PC sleeving projects and you will save money not ordering it online.
 
toader said:
yea, Ive been looking around and I found a molex remover tool.

Are they hard to use? Obviously I will be really careful on getting all the right wires back in the right slots....

What should I be aware of when removing pins and not damaging them?

Also, there are some that arent molex...

One is SATA I think, there are 2 smaller ones also, that arent the same as the rest, and one little square one also. Should I just leave those on and try to slip a sleeve over them? Or is there another tool to remove those?

Sorry to sound like a fool, this is just the first computer that Ive put together that Ive worried about what the inside looks like. Im trying to take some pride here and do it right. Ive been inspired by some of the clean cases some people show around here. Thanks for the help.

-toader


They aren't really hard to use. Just stick the tip into the connector and using some pressure, push the round end of the pin extractor. It will dislodge the crimped ends of the wires from the plastic.

For some of the other wires like 3 pin ones found on fan connectors, just use a tiny pointed object to push the little piece of metal down on top and pull the wire out.

Since this is your first PC build, I would suggest practicing on some spare connectors like those that come with fans, CCFL's, etc.
 
Thanks guys.

I went to CompUSA to see if they had a Molex Extractor, they all looked at me like I was an alien. You know youre sad when you go to a geek store to ask for something geeky, and they dont even know what your talking about.

I will either order it online, or try radioshack tommorow.

-toader
 
You think those are hard? Try hunting down an ATX pin extraction tool without ordering it online. That'll be a hoot.
 
Once I get the sleeves on the cables, and put a piece of heat shrink down on the end and re-attach the molex connectors......whats a safe way to heat the heat shrink?

Hairdryer?
Lighter?

Anything I can use without having to buy something special?

-toader
 
heat gun :)

i dont think a hair dryer will get hot enough to actually melt the heat shrink enough. wouldnt try a lighter unless you're really really careful not to get teh heat shrink smoking
 
Hair dryer works if you have a nice hot one, took too damn long for me though. I just used matches, hold them far enough away so the heat shrink isn't actually IN the flame or it'll char and look fugly. Kind of a pain, but better than buying yet another piece of hardware (heatgun) that I'd only use a couple times. If only I'd just stolen the industrial strength heatgun from lab........
 
I've used both a hairdryer and a lighter, and they both work, it kinda depends on the quality of the heatshrink. A hairdryer usually takes a little bit longer, but the results are more "even" I guess.

A lighter you have to be more carefull with, because if you hold it too close or in one spot too long, you can burn the stuff and it turns all brown and gross. If you have any candles sitting around, try holding the heatshrink over the candle, that way, you're holding on to it with both hands instead of having to hold the lighter, and you have better control over it.
 
Back
Top