SLEEVING: How do you remove the ATX power connector?

And ummm what happends when you get a new mobo and you PSU wondt reach? or a new Case? OMG did you think before you did that..

Allthougt nice IDEA for water cooling your PSU..i may do that my slef.

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
And ummm what happends when you get a new mobo and you PSU wondt reach? or a new Case? OMG did you think before you did that..

Remove the 20 pin molex, remove the sleeving, extend each wire as needed, protect each connection with heat shrink, then cover with a new piece of sleeving to hide your extended wires, put on new pins and replace the 20 pin molex. The whole job should take no more than about an hour or so.

Originally posted by Pagan Wizard
Remove the 20 pin molex, remove the sleeving, extend each wire as needed, protect each connection with heat shrink, then cover with a new piece of sleeving to hide your extended wires, put on new pins and replace the 20 pin molex. The whole job should take no more than about an hour or so.
Right, so just replace it huh... ;)

dose that cool you PSU pretty good? seems like it would...
Iv allready about the stuff....time to get my brezal on...hahaha

My case fits 2 SPU so im going to use my current empty SPU case for my pump and make the SPU pump and SPU water cooler one unit..

Originally posted by Paully's5.0
Hmmm.....did you read the title?

SLEEVING: How do you remove the ATX power connector?

The atx power connector is a MOLEX CONNECTOR! How do I know this? Well at work I make wiring harnesses, which use MOLEX connectors!

as Chris Berman has said " There aren't any stupid questions, only stupid people"

sorry if thats cruel, but wow

Actually "molex connector" at this forum always refers to the 4 pin power connector. Hell that is standard practice when talking about computers anywhere. Molex doesn't even make those anymore - though they do make some mating surface mount and through hole mount connectors though.

Most people at this board assume Molex connector means the 4 pin hard drive/cdrom power connector. Molex is in fact a brand name, and covers connectors of many shapes, pin arrangements, and sizes.

But 2 needles works for me quite well, just takes a little time and patience.

Originally posted by I(illa Bee

Allthougt nice IDEA for water cooling your PSU..i may do that my slef.

simple. already have 2 ;) and yes I did think before doing that.......

I just went to a hobby/art supply store and got a small length of copper tube just large enough to fit over the connector. After that it was simple, insert copper tube which would push down the clips, then pull out the connector. Once sleeved I put them all back no prob. Cost like $0.40 too.

Okay I seem to be having trouble getting the ATX connector off. Now my inner Geek wants to continue until it comes off but the realist in me wants to just give in and get one of those niffy molex remover tools. Should I just save myself some time and get one or what? I don't really need it because I'm getting a new PSU anyways and that one already has the sleeving and long cords. The cords on my current PSU is rather short without the sleeving though.

Originally posted by Phoenix86
I like the copper tube idea. Simple, effective, cheap.

the copper tube idea dont work.

the tube od is too wide, and the tube id is too small..

There is 0 chance for the copper tube not to work. It just has to be the right size tube. ;)

There is 0 chance for the copper tube not to work. It just has to be the right size tube. ;)

i tried every size man, it dont work!

i need to buy a replacement pin now...

I'm not saying where you went had the right size, just that the right size will work. Sorry you have to get a new pin, that sucks. Good luck.

Originally posted by Scar1.8T
I just went to a hobby/art supply store and got a small length of copper tube just large enough to fit over the connector. After that it was simple, insert copper tube which would push down the clips, then pull out the connector. Once sleeved I put them all back no prob. Cost like $0.40 too.

you care to enlighten us to the specs of the tube?;) (ID & OD)

also, it wouldn't have to be made of copper. any metal stong enough in that small size and wall should work. i'd go for stainless steel.

I'm not saying where you went had the right size, just that the right size will work. Sorry you have to get a new pin, that sucks. Good luck.

ok, this will work on the 4 pin molex's... but not the ATX connector i thought we were talking about..

For the Molex Mini-Fit Jr (20 pin and 24 pin motherboard connectors) i typically use needles... just like the guy on the first page... insert the pins on both sides, squeezing the tabs in... wiggle and pull... it should eventually come out... did this with 8 power supplies.... (4 to junky power supplies - needed the connector) 2 of which were the 24 pin connectors.. to say the least after the 3 power supply you get really good at it... :D

My only suggestion would be to take your time and wiggling is your friend... Also try differnent sizes of pins.. i found that certain pins were too thick and some too thin...
One last thing.. i also noticed that if you bend the very tip of the needle by like 30 degrees, you get a wider area to depress the tabs...

Raid your mothers old sewing drawer!!!

Back