Sleeving 750HX

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a trick to this I'm not getting?

I'm trying to remove the damn ATX pins. I have the MDPCX kit and I'm using the removal tool that came with that. I've even tried one that came with a different sleeve kit I have for another computer. Neither work well at all. I even tried the staple method with little success.

Now the kicker, one of the wires pulled clean out of the pin. So, now I have to buy another ATX female connector, some female ATX pins, and a crimper. I didn't even pull that hard. Already this is pretty frustrating.

So, any tips or tricks. Maybe a link to a tool that actually works?

staple meathod worked fine for me.... did you double check to make sure the staple pushed on the outside and pushed all the way?

i found that you have to put it in a quarter way, then do the other side, then use a pair of pliers to push it down...

sometimes you have to push the cable itself up.

If you are pulling to hard, you are trying too hard. relax for a min. First you want to push the wire in then use molex tool to push the pin 2 wings inward, then pull the pin out. Its really easy, just need to relax.

Same here, have to try really hard to pull the wire.

Still working on my first PSU full sleeving.

If you are pulling to hard, you are trying too hard. relax for a min. First you want to push the wire in then use molex tool to push the pin 2 wings inward, then pull the pin out. Its really easy, just need to relax.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've walked away more than once and come back to the same results. I've given up on it until the pins, crimper, and ATX connector show up. I can't do anything until then anyways.

The PSU is speaking to you. It's telling you that it's already sleeved and doesn't want to change.

I'll be selling a fully sleeved 850HX (8 months old) this week for about $100. Fully sleeved with Murdermod. Just have to get my AX1200 installed.

I have never found the need to remove the ATX pin header from a PSU to sleeve the main lead. I always work the header over the sleeve and done. If you cant fit your sleeve over the ATX header, you are probably using the wrong sleeve for the job. Dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Step one: Buy appropriate sized sleeve (depending on your power supply will vary slightly), but I find 1.5 and 1.75 inch usually fit fine (non-expanded internal diameter measure). Move up accordingly.
Step two: Bend cable bulk and header to be in line with cable.
Step three: Use vinyl tape on header and cable to keep header in place and smooth out the bulk so that the sleeve doesnt get hung up on the header jagged edges. (note - if you are not sure what sleeve size to buy if buying custom, now is the time to measure the largest area to be sleeved over)
Step four: Expand sleeve and work over cable length. Once complete but before you reach the end, cut the sleeve leaving enough length to fit properly. Make sure you use a lighter to heat the frayed edged of the sleeve to keep from unravelling in the future.
Step five: Work two pieces of heat shrink sleeve over the cable before you remove the vinyl tape. I usually use about 1 to 2 inches length of sleeve for each piece to properly hold the wire sleeve.
Step six: Position the heat shrink tubing with the ends of the nylon sleeve to be about dead center of the heat shrink tubing so that the heat shrink tubing will hold on to the sleeving. I find that the burned frayed edges of the sleeve help this further over the non burned frayed edges.

Done.

Rinse repeat for all other cables. Yes the ATX header is a little more difficult, but I think beats the trouble of removing the header and possibly breaking a pin, etc. I use this process on the molex sometimes as well, depending on the PSU, because quite frankly I can sometimes do this faster than the removing the pins method in some cases. I use the molex pin removing tools when necessary but not fully.

Just my experience really and I have been told by other modders my wire sleeving is some of the neatest cabling they have seen for custom sleeving.

I have never found the need to remove the ATX pin header from a PSU to sleeve the main lead. I always work the header over the sleeve and done. If you cant fit your sleeve over the ATX header, you are probably using the wrong sleeve for the job. Dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Step one: Buy appropriate sized sleeve (depending on your power supply will vary slightly), but I find 1.5 and 1.75 inch usually fit fine (non-expanded internal diameter measure). Move up accordingly.
Step two: Bend cable bulk and header to be in line with cable.
Step three: Use vinyl tape on header and cable to keep header in place and smooth out the bulk so that the sleeve doesnt get hung up on the header jagged edges. (note - if you are not sure what sleeve size to buy if buying custom, now is the time to measure the largest area to be sleeved over)
Step four: Expand sleeve and work over cable length. Once complete but before you reach the end, cut the sleeve leaving enough length to fit properly. Make sure you use a lighter to heat the frayed edged of the sleeve to keep from unravelling in the future.
Step five: Work two pieces of heat shrink sleeve over the cable before you remove the vinyl tape. I usually use about 1 to 2 inches length of sleeve for each piece to properly hold the wire sleeve.
Step six: Position the heat shrink tubing with the ends of the nylon sleeve to be about dead center of the heat shrink tubing so that the heat shrink tubing will hold on to the sleeving. I find that the burned frayed edges of the sleeve help this further over the non burned frayed edges.

Done.

Rinse repeat for all other cables. Yes the ATX header is a little more difficult, but I think beats the trouble of removing the header and possibly breaking a pin, etc. I use this process on the molex sometimes as well, depending on the PSU, because quite frankly I can sometimes do this faster than the removing the pins method in some cases. I use the molex pin removing tools when necessary but not fully.

Just my experience really and I have been told by other modders my wire sleeving is some of the neatest cabling they have seen for custom sleeving.

I'm assuming you don't know about Murdermod sleeving? I'm not sleeving the entire thing, otherwise I would have just left it alone. I'm sleeving each individual cable. That's why I'm removing the ATX header.

Back