Sleeping w/ your PC on & feeling noise fatigue?

TroyTalksNoMore

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been feeling very fatigued lately and thought it was just job related stress.
- I'm trying to determine if the PC noise is wearing me out.

I have a 1 bedroom apt. & PC's in the living room (always on).
- I sleep with the bedroom door open & can hear a quite fan hiss - no biggie.

I recently noticed a weird, quite pulsating noise & thought it was from my neighbors place. It's like a loud aquarium pump that is against his wall next to my PC. I could barely hear it unless I was standing in certain "spots" in the apt. It has a weird echo quality & I could never locate exactly where the sound came from - no matter where I stood in the apt. and it changed "location" when I turned my head or stood in another spot.

One night, I was up late and the TV was off and it was very quite.
- I installed a new HD & shutdown one PC & noticed the "pulsating" stopped!

I ordered a new HD and began sleeping with the bedroom door closed.
- I am feeling less fatigue, but work has also slowed as we near the holidays.

Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? :confused:

the hum of my comp doesnt bother me but the LEDs from the fans on the antec 900 were really annoying. i cut the leads on all the fan LEDs and now my case is completely blacked out. looks better this way too in my opinion.

I have a hard time sleeping if I can't hear the hum of my computer :p

Holy crap I'm not the only one! I have my PC on in my bedroom and its on all the time. Once I decided to put it to sleep before I went to bed and I couldn't get to sleep, it was to quiet. I find it soothing.

the hum of my comp doesnt bother me but the LEDs from the fans on the antec 900 were really annoying. i cut the leads on all the fan LEDs and now my case is completely blacked out. looks better this way too in my opinion.

Wouldn't just upplugging them been a better option? That's what I did, and they still work If I ever want to re-connect them.

unplug the LEDs from the fan casings? how did you manage that...they looked pretty hardwired to me

Ultra-low frequency noise can be very bothersome, it can even make you sick to your stomach. The US military has a couple of weapons based upon that concept.

I recently had a powersupply start making a low frequency noise, bothered the crap out of me, i was even able to hear and feel it upstairs. With a little process of elimination i figured out what the problem was, then replaced the offending psu.

My bedroom PC makes a near silent, warm hum that helps me fall asleep. :) It's about as quiet as you can get without going completely passive.

My server in the living room makes HDD seek noises and PSU's fan is a bit noisy (and will be replaced as soon as possible), I probably couldn't sleep in there because of it.

Yeah, a quiet fan hiss was never a problem...

The weird, echo-ey, slow rotational pulsating has finally been ID'd.
- I've been sleeping with the door shut for a week and I seem to be less tired.

I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the fatigue or felt tired all the time.
- I was beginning to wonder I was diabetic or had some kind of health issue! Besides being MENTAL!

You will know if you are diabetic because you will be drinking the tap every 1/2hr or so and having orgasms at how good water is (this is to thin the blood due to excess glucose in it).
Everyone is wired differently, if you find it easier to sleep without any noise, thats your way.
ie some people have ringing in their ears and as such without a noise, they find it difficult to sleep.

ie some people have ringing in their ears and as such without a noise, they find it difficult to sleep.

That would be me. Permanent club ear, or concert ear, whatever you want to call it. I need a fan on, or some kind of noise, just to fall asleep.

One thing I found interesting before was having 2 different harddrives in my machine. One a seagate, one a WD. I think the seagate was a slower spinning drive and I think it rotated in the opposite direction as the WD. Anyways, with both drives in there my case would slowly pulse and resonate this low tone. Took me a damn year to figure it out, well, actually the Seagate started to get corrupted so I took it out and the nose went away. To test I put the seagate back in and took the WD out, no noise either. But both in there together made the noise. Very strange.

That's one thing I've noticed as well with high RPM fans, if they're loud enough to be audible from across the room and they produce a different sound frequency due to RPMs/motor they will "pulse" and that does drive me insane.

The hum its self does not, however it drives my girlfriend nuts.

Agreed, the pulsing from two different frequencies drives me nuts too.

Not to mention the noise of a GTX 260 folding 24/7. It must be the capacitors or something, but the result is a high-pitch, oscillating buzz that may slowly be driving me insane. And then there's the heat issue: I can leave my window open half way in ~ freezing temperatures on a snowy, blustery day and hardly feel it across the room thanks to that 500W space heater. Oh the things we do for the [H]ord.

i usually have to have some type of noise on in my room in order to go to sleep....more often than not, i set winamp to play an album's worth of music....that way i will have enough sound to get to sleep, but it won't be playing the whole time i'm sleeping....or sometimes i'll have it playing streaming music from the internet, then have Task Scheduler play a single song at a certain time (usually an hour or two from the time i lay down to go to sleep) so it won't just be playing the whole time i'm in bed.

don't think i've ever had any fatigue from computer noises, tho....but then again, i've never tested the theory, so i'm not sure.....

i usually have to have some type of noise on in my room in order to go to sleep....more often than not, i set winamp to play an album's worth of music....that way i will have enough sound to get to sleep, but it won't be playing the whole time i'm sleeping....or sometimes i'll have it playing streaming music from the internet, then have Task Scheduler play a single song at a certain time (usually an hour or two from the time i lay down to go to sleep) so it won't just be playing the whole time i'm in bed.

don't think i've ever had any fatigue from computer noises, tho....but then again, i've never tested the theory, so i'm not sure.....

I do that too. 1Up Yours podcast or a 50 song playlist. :)

a few years back my rig was on in my room and it definitely made me feel terrible all night/into the next day. Im not sure what it was, maybe the hdd? it was an older system and it wasnt that quiet, it really made me feel like sleeping wasnt possible at all, anywhere. just completely irritated my mind/body.

Now, my new rig doesnt seem to bother me at all. the past year, if i didnt have a rig in my room, id usually sleep with the fan on, just because the quiet is so damn loud! you hear the heater come on, the wind, I need the consistent white noise when I sleep now.

actually, come to think about it, i have experienced some ill effects of having sounds running nearby......but not fatigue, so much.....more like high levels of stress and extreme irritability.

at my tech support job, we have a lot of test units for wireless access gateways for hotspot locations, and they decided to run a bunch of them right behind me, 2 cubicles over....some of these devices have those tiny-ass little 40mm fans in them and are loud as shit. they produce a constant, monotone whine 24x7, and after a while, i got to where i wanted to just fucking kill someone when i'd get off of work.

eventually, i had to move to another cubicle all the way across the room, because it was literally driving me bonkers, and i would have probably eventually ended up hurting myself or someone else having to listen to that shit all day, every day, for 12 hours at a time.....

Back when I had my first apartment, much like you, the constant drone of my main PC would slowly drive me crazy -- that's when I took a foray into water-cooling. I found that I didn't need to spend a fortune as I was less concerned with cooling (in regards to overclocking performance) than I was with silence.

I have to say, since then every PC I've had since has been water-cooled.

Not to mention the noise of a GTX 260 folding 24/7. It must be the capacitors or something, but the result is a high-pitch, oscillating buzz that may slowly be driving me insane. And then there's the heat issue: I can leave my window open half way in ~ freezing temperatures on a snowy, blustery day and hardly feel it across the room thanks to that 500W space heater. Oh the things we do for the [H]ord.

iirc there was an article on nvidia cards squeeling somewhere and a fix

the fix consisted of covering basically EVERY centimeter of the card, besides mem, fets, and core, in clear nail polish to stop the vibrating coils/caps

not sure, if your card is REALLY loud, you can contact and usually get an RMA. But most cards make some noise, what's tolerable varies from person to person. My card doesnt make noise while gaming, maybe a little in 1 or 2 tests in 3dmark06 and atitool scanner, but in real world, i cant hear it over the gpu fan.

the fix consisted of covering basically EVERY centimeter of the card, besides mem, fets, and core, in clear nail polish to stop the vibrating coils/caps

lol, I'll pass. It's only really noticible when folding because there isn't any other noise to drown it out, and even then it isn't enough to make me go to those lengths to stop it.

i can hear my 8800gtx buzz/hum when i move my mouse around the desktop...luckily its far enough away from my head that it doesnt bother me. but its audible over my cooling fans...

Back