Sleeping Headphones

Skrying

2[H]4U
I'm looking at picking up a cheap pair of headphones to listen to while I sleep. These things will be plugged into my Zen Touch.

The main things I need is for them to be very comfortable, produce good sound, and then price. I dont want to spend over $50 on these.

I mostly listen to bands like Opeth, Mushroomhead, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, and Tomahawk (big Mike Patton fan). So I need something that is able to handle highs very well and deep lows too, Opeth generally does a lot of switching between death/black metal and acoustic guitars and almost jazz inspired drumming, and Mr. Bungle/Fantomas/Tomahawk is a wide range of almost circus metal so things are very varied so a headphone that can handle everything well would be nice.

Any recommendations would be great, I'm getting tired of using little ear buds that start hurting after awhile.

It's probably not a good idea to wear headphones while you sleep; the cord could get tangled aroung your neck or something. You might want to look into some small/cheap speakers.

id you really wanna go headphones over speakers for that, i'd suggest comfortable plug-type phones, do you sleep on the side often?

unhappy_mage said:
It's probably not a good idea to wear headphones while you sleep; the cord could get tangled aroung your neck or something. You might want to look into some small/cheap speakers.

I've been wearing headphones while I sleep for the better half of my life and pretty much must be listening to music to fall asleep, I know it could be dangerous, but I dont much around much at all while sleeping and i keep the cord in this small little plastic holder i have that i can wrap it up in, leaving only a few inches left, not nearly enough to get around my neck.

hek1 said:
id you really wanna go headphones over speakers for that, i'd suggest comfortable plug-type phones, do you sleep on the side often?
I would use speakers but I do not want to distrub other people, namely my girlfriend, while they sleep. I do sleep on my side. Do you have any recommendations for comfortable plug earphones?

not really answering ur Q, but maybe a pair of wireless headphones? Or would that be too bulky?

I wore my sennheiser hd-202 headphones almost every night last semseter at school because one of my room mates snored REALLY LOUD. it took a little bit of getting used to since they are pretty big headphones, but once you master getting your head lined up with you pillow just right it is really comfortable and you forget you even have the headphones on.

the HD-202's are good because they are closed headphones so people next to you in the bed won't hear your music (my gf slept over almost every night as well and the snoring did not bother her), and they block alot of noise (which is bad when you have your alarm clock set to get you up for an 8:00am class and you cant hear it because your headphones are on (I had 2 room mates and my girlfriend who would get pretty angry because the alarm would jsut keep going and I would be sound asleep))

I wear a pair of Panasonic RJP-H50s to sleep all the time. They block out a lot of noise but you should still be able to hear an alarm clock or something through them depending on your volume levels.

Don't think you can find them in the states (and I'm not even sure of the model number since I threw away the box), but I guess the earbuds that are most like them are the Sony EX71s, which cost $30 - 50. However, my pair broke within 2 weeks.

Both were pretty comfortable for me, and they come with different sized plugs so you can find the one that fits you best.

If you want to go nuts, you can get some Etymotics or Shures, but those are significantly more expensive.

Other than that, my other pair of earbuds were Sennheiser MX400s. Good earbuds and only $15, but they're not as comfortable to wear since they're not canal-type. After a couple hours my ears sting from wearing them.

Back