Sleep Problems

jrg70

Weaksauce
I'm having trouble getting my Windows 7 PC to go to sleep automatically.

System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Asus P5E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775
Mushkin (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Dual Channel
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB

I had a lot of problems getting this hardware to work with Vista 64 bit, so I ran 32-bit until Windows 7. I've been running Win 7 64-bit since December with no problems. It has been perfect and it would go to sleep by itself on the Power Schedule that I set up. (If some programs were left open, like iTunes, it would not, but I would close them and it would be fine.) All of a sudden it stopped sleeping about a week ago. I have scoured the internet, looking for solutions and have tried them all.

It will go to sleep, and stay asleep, if I initiate it.
It will not do it on it's own.

I do use a wireless mouse (USB laser)
I connect to a Windows Home Server, through the WHS connector
I use Live Mesh

I have tired disconnecting all peripherals (wireless mouse, printer, USB Hub, everything).
Turning off WHS connector.
Turning off Live Mesh

When I look at “lastwake” it shows nothing. But I think that is because nothing woke it up. It just would not go to sleep.

Is there some kind of Service running that is blocking it? How can I monitor the system to see what is going on? I am kind of pissed off.

Please help, if you can, thanks

I have the exact same issue on one of my systems. I used to think it was because my daughter would disable sleep mode. but after a move to my wife's room and a W7 install I realized there must be some issue with the hardware.

It seems like something is running in the background that is doing this. Like a Service or something. Is there any way to monitor the system and see if something is “bugging” to OS to stay awake? Even if I have to manually sit there and watch. I have unplugged all peripherals and closed applications like Live Mesh and the Home Server Connector. It still won't go to sleep on its own. And it had been working fine since I first installed the OS.

Thanks

I'm having trouble getting my Windows 7 PC to go to sleep automatically.

System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Asus P5E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775
Mushkin (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Dual Channel
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB

I had a lot of problems getting this hardware to work with Vista 64 bit, so I ran 32-bit until Windows 7. I've been running Win 7 64-bit since December with no problems. It has been perfect and it would go to sleep by itself on the Power Schedule that I set up. (If some programs were left open, like iTunes, it would not, but I would close them and it would be fine.) All of a sudden it stopped sleeping about a week ago. I have scoured the internet, looking for solutions and have tried them all.

It will go to sleep, and stay asleep, if I initiate it.
It will not do it on it's own.

I do use a wireless mouse (USB laser)
I connect to a Windows Home Server, through the WHS connector
I use Live Mesh

I have tired disconnecting all peripherals (wireless mouse, printer, USB Hub, everything).
Turning off WHS connector.
Turning off Live Mesh

When I look at “lastwake” it shows nothing. But I think that is because nothing woke it up. It just would not go to sleep.

Is there some kind of Service running that is blocking it? How can I monitor the system to see what is going on? I am kind of pissed off.

Please help, if you can, thanks

Hi, jrg70,

If you haven't already, check this thread for tips.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Thanks for the reply.

But that thread is for problems with it waking up uncontrolled. My problem is that it won't go to sleep according to the schedule I set up. When I manually put it to sleep it will go and stay asleep.

Thanks!

Believe it or not, I have tried that.

I've jammed them in the usb ports, A/V jacks, even dumped some in the DVD drive. It just doesn't work.

Thanks ;)

^ exactly

anyway, set it to sleep after 1 minute, see if it does. if not, go to run, msconfig, and disable the startup BS , restart, and see if itll sleep then.

Back