Skyrim vs Red Dead Redemption

Skyrim vs Red Dead Redemption overall,read below.

• Skyrim

Votes: 67 81.7%
  • Read Dead Redemption.

Votes: 15 18.3%

• Total voters

455olds

Gawd
Anyone that has played both,how do these games compare. Which one is better quality,longer game play or cost more/more work went into to make? Aside from the fact Red dead was just a console game. If they where both just console games how would the compare. I know Skyrim is better because its available for pc.

Last edited:
Skyrim, hands down a lot more engaging. Both are great games, but I think you get more out of Skyrim than Red.

I've played both on the 360, skyrim is bigger and has better visuals, but would say that red dead has better missions and gameplay. Both are fantastic games but i would slightly put red dead in the lead.

you are comparing a game that is a few years old to a game that was made like it is a few years old?

I guess it's pretty subjective which is more enjoyable but it's not a totally unfair comparison. I'd like to imagine our games are evolving, becoming more polished with better and more innovative gameplay mechanics as the years go on. So, looking at two of the most popular titles in recent times does not go without some merit. The main thing that makes it more difficult to compare the two games is that they dont really fit under the same genre.

My pick? Has to be Skyrim because RDR wasnt fucking released on PC

OP: What are you in the mood for?

You have two games here that are both excellent ambassadors for their respective genres but VERY different from each other.

RDR is something I still fire up and play every so often. The multiplayer is insanely loaded and the single player is of respectable length. It's an awesome game. It's one of the best action games I've played in the last several years. Imagining it in high rez glory on the PC damn near brings a tear to my eye but I'm glad I own a PS3 so I didn't miss out.

Skyrim? I have 120 hours into it since it came out on the PC. What more can I say? If you want an RPG and you know you like these kinds of RPGs the way Bethesda does them, then it's a no brainer purchases. Mods, goodies...hell, the thing will never really come to an end.

Summary: You can't go wrong with either game. It just depends on what you're in the mood for. :)

To me, I think RDR had more work done on the actual GAMEPLAY and technology. I mean the horses, the general physics of things was soooooo much better in RDR compared to about any other game. THe way the horses moved the muscles, ove rterrain, how they interacted with carriages and things, still unmatched in any other game.

Skyrim hover, I feel like Bethseda focused less on gameplay (Which is fairly unchanged from Oblivion, it has by far one of the WORST melee combat systems of any game imo, it just isn't "fun" and odesn't feel "right/good" when you play as a melee character, the combat feels very disconnected, unlike the magic which feels fun or the shouts) and they focused more on the world.

All the dungeons and things tucked away in Skyrim that were hand placed and done, not randomly generated, to me the world of Skyrim edges out ahead of RDR, but it had a good world design as well.

I think both are good games, if you could take SKyrim's expansive world/detail, and put RDR's attention to gameplay and physics/interaction, it would by far be one of the best games ever.

However in the end, I have to give it to RDR. Mainly because IP love westerns, we don't get enough games for that genre. RDR didn't only ha ea good open world, but they took things further with gameplay , had great shooting, advanced physics for horses and things in general aboveo many other games.

Bethseda just seems content to take the same basic formula as Morrowind did, and make new worlds rather then to actually advance ttheir gameplay/presentation.

They need to rework the melee combat system BAD because it's terrible, they need to hire some better animators, Skyrim was better then Oblivion, but they still feel lilke one of the worst AAA studio's when it comes to animations in general. It just give sthe game a bit of a rough/low quality touch when you play Skyrim and noticce all the small litttle imperfections they are known for doing since Morrowind and the horrible Gamebyro engine and it's quirks.

THeir lack of Mounted combat, A new melee system, better animation, general low quality looting (that's alwyas been a weak point of TES games, they just don't have good loot tables, beause they stick to only looting what you see on a body, most chest contain udder junk, even a high lv locked chest you can waste 20 lockpicks on to finally open, only to get your usal health pot, a gem or two if you're lucky and some crappy weapons. The lack of unique armor sets/weapons, customization for clothing, etc hurts it when you compare it to other rpgs).

I just bought Skyrim off steam. With so many votes it must be good. I don't have a xbox anyway to play Red Dead but I wanted to see what everyone thought. If RDR was on pc I would have bought it in a sec.

I just bought Skyrim off steam. With so many votes it must be good. I don't have a xbox anyway to play Red Dead but I wanted to see what everyone thought. If RDR was on pc I would have bought it in a sec.

You couldn't make a bad choice here in any event but I daresay I think you're going to enjoy Skyrim big time. :)

I agree with the sentiment that Skyrim's melee combat is. . . lacking, to put it kindly. I really can't believe they haven't revamped the combat at all in 10 years (seriously. . . 10 years--maybe more).

That said, there is enough there, and the world is fleshed out just enough to keep you coming back again and again. Oblivion's world was kind of "dead", but Skyrim's world seems like it's more real. There are tons of quests, the NPCs go about their business, and you can just do whatever you want really. It's great! And that's not even considering the modding community that is just getting started.

I highly recommend Skyrim. I haven't played RDR yet, but from what I've heard, you really can't go wrong with either game.

RDR was a great game. Reminded me of GTA in the wild west.

Skyrim is more.... idk, awesome? Not a GTA style game really.

Play both. Personally I kind of enjoyed the RDR+Undead Nightmare a bit more but very different games.
Both are flawed story wise. John Marsden is schisofrenic and a lot of his actions didn´t make which was kind of sad because the rest was so good.

Otherwise there is a lot of characters and story in that game that is wonderful at the same time.

Red Dead is great but seriously? You can't compare it to Skyrim in terms of content and quality. Bethesda just knows there shit when it comes to open world gaming. Yes , combat is a weak point but I've yet to play a game like Skyrim from the first person perspective and nail combat just right and each game improves upon the last in terms of how combat is handled. Red dead is good fun but the story is a bit vapid and the protagonist isn't entirely likable which makes it a bit hard to care about the choices he makes in game.

Skyrim is still one of the best games I've played in years.

Skyrim didn't do shit to update the melee combat form Oblivion. Morrowind it was the same basic mechanics, however from MW>Oblivion they took out the die roll to "hit" (which was one of the worst things about combat in it).

However the basic functions, the controls, how combat works, it's been the same throughout, just little things like shield bashing or something. There's no real depth to melee combat, weapons don't interact, hitting people don't react (which is absurd, and one of the things that makes melee combat so unfun).

As a hole, one of the thing sholding back combat in TES is the lack of locational damage. This means aiming your bow, getting off a headshot, means jack shit, you may as well hit them in the foot because the damage is the same.

Bethseda bought Arkane Studios, who did a MUCH better first-person melee combat system with DArk Messiah of Might and Magic. Many melee oriented players were hoping they'd have used their talent for Skyrim, but they didn't.

Hopefully with the new TES (Which there definitely will be) they rework melee combat completely and have locational damage.

For all intents and purposes, Skyrim has pretty shit gameplay. There's a few interesting quest lines, that's about it really. The combat stinks, the voice acting is decent now, but still let down by poor animations.

The thing that keeps drawing me back to Skyrim is the environment, its friggin awesome. I love the Nord environment, it like Rohan from Lord of the Rings. Approaching Whiterun for the first time is like "WOW! Its like Edoras from LOTR". For the first large chunk of the game I avoided using fast travel and just explored the world while travelling from quest to quest.

I dunno about RDR because I don't own a console and the bastards won't release it on PC.

Why not just play them both?

Dark Souls is better than Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption

Ive not played either so I didnt vote but judging from the mass hysteria over Skyrim, Id say there is something to it. Games like MW3 get mass hysteria too but mainly from the console crowd. When PC gamers start raving over a game, its got something going for it. I hear very little about Red Dead Redemption. I hear its a pretty good game but nothing like I hear about Skyrim.

You trollin bro?

No,just want to know what people think of these two games. I wanted people to judge it by game play not by what platform its available for.

I figure most people will say Skyrim is better just because they can play it on pc.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Red Dead Redemption is an open world wild west action/adventure game while Skyrim is an open world fantasy RPG. The only thing that is really in common between the two is the fact they're open world. Both are excellent games for what they were developed for.

Back