Skyrim Acceleration layer

I was running the Acceleration Layer and then switched over to skyboost.

Skyboost definitely seems to help in some areas and is a whole lot better in cities when you let it do the 360 view... GPU usage is much less all over the place and fps is higher as well.

I didn't have any crashes with either, so I am betting those of you that are having problems with crashing has to do with some other mod not liking the Acceleration layer and/or Skyboost.

I have only changed a few threading options in the ini file, so some modded ini settings may affect it as well.

morrowind overhaul 2.0 is running slower than skyrim doh! alot more vegetation :p .... back to skyrim...

I'll definitely vouch for Skyboost over TESVAL at this point. Very impressed with it. Any updates they do will be something to eagerly look forward to.

I bumped my uGridsToLoad back up from 5 to 7 with everything maxed and it's still doing very good using Skyboost. No other mods. Pretty impressive mod.

I bumped my uGridsToLoad back up from 5 to 7 with everything maxed and it's still doing very good using Skyboost. No other mods. Pretty impressive mod.

Put in even 1024x1024 texture mods and kiss that goodbye. ;)

So been keeping up reading on skyboost to see if they'll release R4 soon.
Well they are looking into making things better for amd users.

It seems that amd cpus are slower using sse2 than sse1. Whats more interesting is that amd's faster using x87 instructions.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1329960-skyboost-topic-4/page__st__120

So we might see a skyboost just for you , amd users.

:D

Kinda suspect, especially the speed difference SSE1 / 2, all the instructions are generally very fast and should be on both AMD / Intel. Vectorized SSE code shouldn't be losing to scalar x87 stuff.

I'll definitely vouch for Skyboost over TESVAL at this point. Very impressed with it. Any updates they do will be something to eagerly look forward to.

Skyboost is literally TESVAL with some additions, it came from the TESVAL code.

Hi guyz :p , dunno if i should change the title to sky boost ahahaha.

They are still working on making skyboost better.
A new R4 test version is out thats stable.

http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/?category=other&altname=skyrim_boost

if that link doesn t work

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1331790-skyboost-topic-5/

They managed to get even more frames :p

Now before anyone asks fpu gives the best result for Amd cpus.
And sse2 gives best reward for intel cpus .

Feel free to report your boost from previous r3 version :D

So what about the AL? Is that just a dead project now with the presence of Skyboost or are they still working on it?

AL is a completed project. They achieved what they wanted to do but put the code out to the community.
Skyboost came about for windows 8 beta compatibility and not having to install skse.

Alexander Blade is still working on skyboost with the community.

AS for AL , unless they update it , i'd consider it complete.

Some ppl might use AL if SB interferes with mods , but i think most ppl would benefit from using skyboost instead.

TESVAL was a proof of concept, all of this could've been done automatically by the developer by checking a single box in the compiler. Skyboost added a few more optimization methods, but also expanded the number of cities covered by the project. They watch for these bottlenecks in a second program and copy the offsets of the executable into their injection scripts. All of these offsets will have to be re-discovered every time a patch changes the game's exe. That's why Arisu is taking it easy, he'd rather not do all this work over and over again, expecially when the compiler can do this automatically. As long as Skyboost is being developed, Arisu was successful in what he set out to do and there is no need to continue working on Acceleration Layer. I don't blame him.

Using the R4 SSE version, I gained 2 and 3 FPS in the two ultra demanding spots in Markath compared to R3 results. :)

Got a few more frames from it, no crashes.

I put it at ultra.... it was so beautyful... but 10 fps xD
I ll stick on high x.x

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/01/19/news-on-the-creation-kit-and-game-updates/

Might be a bit too soon to comment.It seems bethesda might actualy optimize their code ...

"BUG FIXES

General optimizations for memory and performance

Improved compiler optimization settings (PC) "

Could it be ? They'll actualy make it right ?
Let's take bets on how much worse or better than skyboost will it be.

I bet it'll only be 40 % improvement over skyboosts 50%.

Interesting that they list "improved compiler optimization settings" as a bug fix. That's hardly a "bug".

Nice to see them taking from the community. Skyboost has been nothing but awesome on my computer. I've been using R4 as well and it's been fine.

Interesting that they list "improved compiler optimization settings" as a bug fix. That's hardly a "bug".

How the hell did they manage to compile the game with the wrong compiler settings in the first place? Seems like such a basic and stupid mistake to make. It clearly shows how little they cared about the PC version of the game.

The 1.4 patch should make most of what Skyboost/TESVAL do redundant, but there will probably still be room for improvement. To be honest I have more faith in a Russian hacker to fix the game than a development team that doesn't even know how to configure and use a compiler.

HardOCP should do another performance article on Skyrim, since this completely changes the performance of the game, making it much less CPU bound.

On my system, Skyboost made the frame rate in the slowest area of Whiterun go from 19-20 FPS to 34 FPS. In Solitude, the lowest frame rate went from 23 FPS to 38 FPS :eek:

I guess i'm missing out on Skyrim goodness but honestly perhaps i'm in the minority that the amount of bugs and design choices in this game do not warrant 60 dollars. I'll wait until people who actually give a crap about a game e.g. modder community, comunity, etc fix this game for them. I for one am sick of Bethesda using this crap engine and releasing unpolished crap.

I guess i'm missing out on Skyrim goodness but honestly perhaps i'm in the minority that the amount of bugs and design choices in this game do not warrant 60 dollars. I'll wait until people who actually give a crap about a game e.g. modder community, comunity, etc fix this game for them. I for one am sick of Bethesda using this crap engine and releasing unpolished crap.

I've been playing for some 70 hours and barely come across any bugs at all. Design choices, yeah, as I've made clear in other threads I think Bethesda did a piss poor job at balancing the game. But the exploration aspect of Skyrim is really enjoyable and kept me enthralled for about 50 or 60 hours before the design issues started to annoy me :p

Yes, you're in a very small minority.

It is an entertaining game. Not perfect Would it have been better if it was bugless from the start ? Definetively.
Was still able to enjoy it and most of the issues were solved by us day 1 debuggers/ beta testers.

You can be at ease when patch 1.4 is out , you'll be able to enjoy it :p

Optional bethesda patch 1.4 beta is available. Word is it gives even more performance than the latest
Skyboost r4 tests.... :D

edit: Haven t tried it myself xD

Last edited:
Wasn't the same save but ran out of mage college so min was faster for one reason or another.

2737frames :6000:26 min : max 98 :avg 45.617 Skyboost 4 test 2

::drum roll:

3498 frames:6000: 11 min :max 141 : 58.3 Patch 1.4 beta

And i'm at 2.5ghz instead of 3.1 ghz which gave me 3094 total frames and an avg of 51 lol.

So yeah thats good.

oc'd 3.1ghz now gives me 3698 , 30 min , 146 max , avg 61
200 mhz more on gpu 4154 15 min 176 max , avg 69 stronger vid card better fps who knew ? at least skyrim can use that extra power now.

Sometimes it saves after load and min goes down. Also settings are reset after patch , xbox360 controller is back on. Disable that crap.

now to try and push ultra on 512mb ....

Last edited:
It actualy ran... with 0 free gpu memory ... ultra settings 2x aa 8af

1572 11 min /133 max / avg 26.2 feels like skyrim 1.1 .... not sure if want... guess i'll tweak it to playable! Now to play and see if its stable :p

edit :: Ultra settings all slider max shadows medium, avg 40 fps playable ....wow!! Compared to skyboost getting not even 1 sec stutter where new grid loads. Still playable.
Always room for improvement :cool:

Last edited:
Back