Skype causes astonishing battery drain on Android (LG G2)

lordsegan

Gawd
I just got this phone (LG G2 -- love it), and I added Skype to it to replace the functionality of facetime (I previously had an iphone).

Well, I was shocked to see my phone battery dropping by about 15% an hour with only moderate to light use.

I added a battery manager program, and this indicated that my screen was the #1 power suck, but it listed Skype at the top of the programs drawing power (although as a percentage of total power used it seemed small).

Well, based on this, I killed the Skype app using the task manager, and now my phone has only dropped 6% in the last 2.5 hours including lots of texting and using it to play music on headphones.

Wow. Skype.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Google Hangouts. It has much better IQ during video chat too. Unless they changed that in Skype in the last several months since I tired it last.

Google Hangouts. It has much better IQ during video chat too. Unless they changed that in Skype in the last several months since I tired it last.

Skype will use the max resolution your camera supports automagically, exept past 1080 which i think you have to set manually. With that said it will drain the battery as the background task maintains an active users list, so if your phone is idle it will come out and act like its getting a phone call. The way they manage this terrible on phones and i uninstalled for the same reason.

Oh if your connection is lousy it down samples to acomodate that but that should be the only reason for poor iq.

This. Hangouts is quite decent now. Plus you can use it for messaging, pics, ect now.

I've had Skype uninstalled for a long time because of the battery drain. I'm kinda surprised they still haven't fixed it yet.

Does 4G and navigation drain the LG G2 quickly? My car cant even keep my gnexus charged if im running 4g and GPS for directions, pretty crazy. I can maybe get 2 hours max on my gnexus with 4g + gps running.

LTE and GPS drains every phone's battery much faster.

You should look for a 1A minimum car charger for your phone. You probably have a unit that's only capable of 500-750ma.

Back