Skype calling on iPhone 6 - Verizon

thebaest

Limp Gawd
I have an iPhone 6, with Verizon, but I live in an area that gets really bad reception (all carriers have bad reception here). I have great internet, and want to utilize wifi calling. iPhones, with Verizon, do not have the wifi calling option, at least not for a few more months per some google searches. I've heard of doing Skype calling from my phone, but I've never used it before

1.) Can I pay for the Skype service, but keep my same phone number?
2.) Has anyone ever used it before? thoughts? Things I might need to know?

Yes you can pay for Skype service, but you will have a separate number for Skype.

I have used it. I have a Skype number I use for support calls when sitting at my desk. I have Skype on my Verizon iPhone 5s and have used it when on Wifi and also when on Cell Data as well. It worked very well.

Can you use google voice for free? That's what I did a couple years ago in the same situation.

Google Voice would work, but they don't appear to have wifi calling enabled. Skype I think will work, but it'll be a paid service, with a separate phone number.

Google Voice would work, but they don't appear to have wifi calling enabled. Skype I think will work, but it'll be a paid service, with a separate phone number.

Google Voice works through the Hangouts app and will use WiFi or cellular. It will transition seamlessly between WiFi and mobile data without dropping your call, too.

Not an iPhone user, but doesn't iMessage support voice calls (over WiFi or whatever data connection you have) too, at least to other iOS/Mac users? Not sure if that's an option if whoever you're calling is on an iPhone too.

But yeah, Google Voice/Hangouts should definitely work, though I haven't used it for calls at all, just messaging.

Back