Skylake on desktop delayed to August - DigiTimes

lazz

Limp Gawd
Ran across a DigiTimes article this morning saying that motherboard manufacturers have been officially advised by Intel that Skylake and the associated 100 series chipset are being pushed back to the end of August.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150216PD207.html

According to the article it means no Skylake at Computex in June. If that's the case I think myself and the majority of those holding off on an upgrade are going to be sorely disappointed with the show.

Artificial delays, awesome! :rolleyes:

At least they pretty much scrapped Broadwell for all intents and purposes in the PC world. Now we would be talking real delays. Skylake releasing in August kind of puts things back on schedule.

Anywho, I'm no longer holding my breath until I see something that overs much more than 5% performance boost or makes 8 cores parts mainstream. There's no point getting excited over a yearly disappointment since Sandy Bridge until otherwise proven. It's sad when the motherboard chipsets are more interesting than the processor that fits into it.

There's no point getting excited over a yearly disappointment since Sandy Bridge until otherwise proven. It's sad when the motherboard chipsets are more interesting than the processor that fits into it.

This.

When I saw the news I was like "you're telling me that awesome new chip with like 7% IPC improvement is gonna be delayed?! I don't wanna live anymore :rolleyes:"

Intel has been concentrating on power usage and size for the last 6 years. Because of what they did to AMD, they gained a competitive advantage that allowed them this time where they are 2 years ahead of AMD.
I actually look forward to them trying to produce a true competitor to the A10 7850k.

This.

When I saw the news I was like "you're telling me that awesome new chip with like 7% IPC improvement is gonna be delayed?! I don't wanna live anymore :rolleyes:"

Hey, at least we're moving FORWARD. Last time I checked, the clock speed setback of the A10 7850k was enough to mostly erase the IPC gains since Trinity. That means that overall performance has not improved much over Phenom II, because the clocks are NOW exactly the same as they were in 2011. See here:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1200?vs=362

Yeah, they fit a GPU in there and dropped power to 95w, but they did that on 1.5 die shrinks. Intel has managed to increase GPU power and CPU power every generation, if only a bit.

If Intel maintain the stock clock bump we saw with the 4790k, that's quite an improvement over Sandy. Remember that part of the massive improvement Sandy showed over Nehalem was the impressive 600 MHz clock speed bump (for the same price point). The IPC gains of Sandy were about the same as Haswell.

So clocks have increased almost 1GHz since 2009 (not counting the 4790k), and cumulative IPC has grown by about 20%.

Last edited:
Intel has been concentrating on power usage and size for the last 6 years. Because of what they did to AMD, they gained a competitive advantage that allowed them this time where they are 2 years ahead of AMD.
I actually look forward to them trying to produce a true competitor to the A10 7850k.

A 2M/4T chip that doesn't even dent a quad core haswell with Iris Pro.

I have an 860k, it's great, but it is nowhere in the same league as a quad haswell. cpu-wise.

Back