skylake OC - what am I doing wrong?

Momo

Gawd
Please help a very rusty overclocker out?

This is a 6700k, ddr-3200 g.skill ram, and a gigabyte gaming 7 mobo.

here's the BIOS images that are relevant I believe.
(voltage is actually set to 1.385v now fyi)

imgur link to album

What i want here is a good old fashioned OC that is 4.4ghz all the time, not just when running one core. I know, it's not power efficient... w/e. I want all four cores pulling at the same speed :)

Go into Windows power control panel and crank min cpu state to 100% for max perf. Mine sits at 4.5 GHz that way. Couple short-cuts on the desktop, and I can quickly toggle between max perf and min power (over night).

Max performance (scheme_min means min power savings)
C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe /S SCHEME_MIN

Min performance (scheme_max means max power saving)
C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe /S SCHEME_MAX

Balanced
C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe /S SCHEME_BALANCED

hrm, i thought i tried that the first time around.
I'll check it again tonight. I have since done a fresh install of windows etc. so those settings would be default again.

is this a new win10 thing? i don't seem to recall having to change that in windows 7. Could be wrong though, might have changed it once and never realized it was enabling the OC i ran on my X58 system.

I believe Xorbe misunderstood what you meant, or, it wasn't clear what you were asking.

Xorbe's solution is for if you are looking to keep your processor speed at 4.4ghz in the operating system AT ALL TIMES. In addition to disabling power saving features in the UEFI, it may be necessary to set the OS's min cpu state to 100%, otherwise the OS will force power states and drop clockspeeds when the machine is at idle or low usage.

Now, if what you meant was avoiding Intel's regular turbo, which only applies boost speed to one core, it looks like you have already done that through your settings. You have the "Intel Turbo Boost" setting disabled, which means the ratio you set is going to automatically apply to all 4 cores.

If you had that setting enabled, you would have to specify the number on every single core.

Some board also have an additional feature such as "Multi-core enhancement" that will force the max turbo speed across 4 cores, but I'm not seeing anything in the screenshots you provided, nor the manual, so I don't think that is necessary for the Gigabyte Z170 boards. If it's present, it's usually enabled by default. It may go by a different name on the Gigabyte Z170 boards or they may not have it.

yeah, what i want is (for example) 4.4ghz all the time. No downclocking to save power.
I also don't want to run at 4.0, and boost to 4.4. Rather just run at a constant rate.

Right. 100% min cpu state + mult 44 in the bios, at least on an Asus board. That's all I do. Confirm speeds with CPU-Z utility.

sorry, wroked late. Check the album:

IMGUR album #2

I haven't run your power command, but as you can see min state is 100%... it was already, i guess i set that.

see screens for clock being dropped under load.

as an aside, looks like i need to turn on the load line calibration. lots of vdroop going on :eek:

Ah yes I tested mine with Prime95 just now, now I remember. Mine drops due to 99C temp limit. It does bounce around 4100-4500. But this never happens during gaming, vs Prime95 being brutal on cpu usage. Does the speed drop during *normal* usage? That's the best I could get also. I stopped at 4.5 because 4.6 -> more voltage -> more temp -> more speed dip if actually hammered. I was going to pop the lid and use Coollaboratory to drop 10-20 degrees, but not worth the risk for my usage.

wow, so you're quite right... did they change prime95 or something? i'm only using the 'blend mode' and it's fucking killllling the processor temp wise. goes up to around 80-ish right away, and climbs to 84, then gets throttled to 78-82-84-78 and repeats.

There's no way to just plain lock the CPU at X.Xghz?

Back