Skylake -k confirmed for August/September

I hope the thermal paste rumor is not true. I was really looking to upgrade from SB when SL comes up.

Not really, better onboard graphics for those who just browse the net but maybe have a large monitor like 32".
Or if they game with older games that do not take much power.

Obviously if you game you have a dedicated GPU and onboard is nothing but a fail safe backup.

The prices are also looking to be a premium but that is expected.

Not really, better onboard graphics for those who just browse the net but maybe have a large monitor like 32".
Or if they game with older games that do not take much power.

Obviously if you game you have a dedicated GPU and onboard is nothing but a fail safe backup.

The prices are also looking to be a premium but that is expected.

It'd be nice if you could select which card to run on the fly. Thus, if I'm not playing a game (or perhaps running Photoshop/Lightroom), shut the GPU down and use the IGS.

It'd be nice if you could select which card to run on the fly. Thus, if I'm not playing a game (or perhaps running Photoshop/Lightroom), shut the GPU down and use the IGS.

Depends on how much power you need but I agree it would be slick to switch from dedicated to onboard on the fly like you can with sound within windows.

If you had two lines going to the same monitor it would work, might get a flicker but that's it.

Worth holding out for Skylake or just upgrading now?

I'm on a Lynnfield i5 750. Need a new video card (game at 1080p only) and looking to get a new mobo-cpu lowish-mid end to refresh the system as well. Would buy a z97/4690k if buying today.

Looking at a r9 290 as the price is really good right now ($250).

Don't sweat it and just refresh now or wait for Skylake?

Depends on how much power you need but I agree it would be slick to switch from dedicated to onboard on the fly like you can with sound within windows.

If you had two lines going to the same monitor it would work, might get a flicker but that's it.

I'd be OK even if I had to manually select it. The key would be that you could shut down the external GPU most of the time, which is bound to save some money and heat. I just looked up current cards, and they're fairly efficient at idle (11 watts for a 980ti) compared to my now ancient gtx260 (31 watts), but even in the U.S. that's probably $20.00/year (though for me it'd be about 10). Not gonna break me, but if CPUs are gonna come with GPUs, then might as well shut the unused one down.

Worth holding out for Skylake or just upgrading now?

I'm on a Lynnfield i5 750. Need a new video card (game at 1080p only) and looking to get a new mobo-cpu lowish-mid end to refresh the system as well. Would buy a z97/4690k if buying today.

Looking at a r9 290 as the price is really good right now ($250).
Don't sweat it and just refresh now or wait for Skylake?

How many non gaming hours a day is it on? 1 or 2 monitors?
One thing I see with the ATIs is that they use a lot more power at idle (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290_Vapor-X/23.html).

Might be worth looking at how much more it costs to run/year and then decide if it's the way to go. I know that looking at my current card, I could have paid for most of a nice card just from the power wasted at idle....probably the same is true on my file server (which means that card's gotta go too).

How many non gaming hours a day is it on? 1 or 2 monitors?
One thing I see with the ATIs is that they use a lot more power at idle (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290_Vapor-X/23.html).

Might be worth looking at how much more it costs to run/year and then decide if it's the way to go. I know that looking at my current card, I could have paid for most of a nice card just from the power wasted at idle....probably the same is true on my file server (which means that card's gotta go too).

2 monitors. probably 3 hours of non gaming time on avg per day, and 1-3 hours gaming.

I'll take that into consideration. The 290 just looks like a steal for the performance at $250 right now, and I should refresh the cpu/mobo to match it. Devil's Canyon would be a pretty big upgrade for me anyway, I'm not seeing much of a reason to wait for Skylake...

2 monitors. probably 3 hours of non gaming time on avg per day, and 1-3 hours gaming.

I'll take that into consideration. The 290 just looks like a steal for the performance at $250 right now, and I should refresh the cpu/mobo to match it. Devil's Canyon would be a pretty big upgrade for me anyway, I'm not seeing much of a reason to wait for Skylake...

Main reason to wait would be all the cheap chips/mb's you could pick up on for sale after everyone starts upgrading ;)

At this point we're talking two months, give or take (Aug. 15 launch, plus however many days for parts to hit retail channels).

No one should really be asking if they should wait anymore. The chipset itself is worth the wait.

Well I have i5 3570k at 4.5 ghz and running 980 ti sli or fury x xfire soon. I hope the CPU is good enough to run that combo without any major performance decrease (I don't expect it to have issues). I know for gaming there is no need for more than 4 cores but I feel if I am going to upgrade I want atleast 6 cores or more. But waiting for skylake-E Q3 2016 is a long time.

Back