Skull SSD show off build

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I'm not sure how practical a project like this would actually be, but I would like to get some feedback.

I am interested in finding some sort of case or chassis to contain a basic motherboard and an SSD. The SSD is a 2.5 inch Intel SSD with a skull on it. I want the SSD to show from the outside. The whole thing should be a shade of gray to match the gray color of the SSD. With an external AC adapter, hopefully the inside would contain only the motherboard and the SSD.

Any ideas about how to accomplish this? Does it sound stupid to you or kind of cool?

It actually sounds kind of cool :)

It also sound a bit expensive, unless you have access to CNC or someone who can make it for you at a discount.

You could always get a small case like the Antec ISK 110, or that other case that had 350 in it's name. They're pretty basic. You just need to cut a place to show off the ssd and paint them to your liking.

Black5Lion is right, a regular ITX enclosure would probably serve you best, you'll just have to find one that fits your needs, and get a dremel or something similar to cut holes for the SATA conectors, then screw the SSD in through the top panel from below and you're done.
I personally think that may not look very well, so here's my idea:
If you can invest a bit more money, it may be worthwhile to look at these cases and maybe even upgrade to a thin mITX board. You'll still get passive cooling, but you'd have more power and many ways to show the SSD off. An idea would be to take one of the Euler cases, cut or file down a few of the cooling fins to match the footprint of your SSD and cut in holes for angled SATA connectors. You could then put the SSD on top of the case but it would be recessed between the fins, which could look very cool.

I am always in the opinion skulls are good lol

Another chassis that you might look at (And one I have been REALLY eye'n myself) is the Phanteks evolv ITX.

Pretty much no modding required for displaying that SSD out the window. Be warned, it's not a super small ITX tower though it does appear to be superbly constructed. I have been trying to talk myself out of purchasing it to have some fun but it's just so [H]ard.

The only other con than the size are a couple reports of the GPU getting somewhat starved due to the panel it sits close to. There are some conflicting reports on this however so it could just come down to what card, and what fans you will be using. It comes with a 200mm fan in the front that seems to move a large amount of air already.

I've used one of these Morex 557B cases before, at 2.3L it's barely bigger than an ITX mobo. The carrier for SSD mounts it right against the underside of the top cover(painted mine black). It can be mounted forward or aft of the center lining up with perforations, these could be easily modded/dremeled to remove material(case is steel) and alternate drillings on the carrier for mounting orientation. Solid little case, use it in a fanless build with Asrock Q1900DC motherboard, which only requires an AC adapter to 19V.

http://www.logicsupply.com/557b/

One thing that makes me nervous because of my lack of experience is how not to end up with backplating that feels flimsy. I've seen some builds where I feel like I'm going to bend something just by plugging in a USB cable.

If you want to go the easy and smallest and cheap route, Stevo_s suggestion is the best one so far. Has everything you need, panel is easily moddable.

What do you mean by backplating? :confused:

I guess it's actually called a rear i/o panel shield. I don't like them very much. Maybe I haven't figured out how to do it right.

I don't really see how that could be an issue. I mean yes, they aren't exactly designed to take lots of wheight, but I don't see how you could bend them by plugging in a USB cable. If you really don't like it, you could always just leave the back I/O open.

Back