'skitter hawks

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 11, 2000
Messages
4,298
It was hotter than hell, and very humid last Saturday but I had the day off so I was determined to get out and take some pictures.

I started out in the shade at an abandoned minesite (I'll post those pics later), but ended up in a swamp. There was thousands of these guys zipping around. I set up my tripod with the Wimberly Sidekick at the edge of the swamp and shot them as they landed. It was rather breezy so I had to up the ISO to keep the shutter speed up.

dragon1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Lens: Sigma 180mm F/3.5 Macro, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Metering Mode: Spot, 1/250 sec - F/16, Sensitivity: ISO 800

dragon3.jpg

Nikon D2X, Lens: Sigma 180mm F/3.5 Macro, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern, 1/250 sec - F/16, Sensitivity: ISO 500

dragon4.jpg

Nikon D2X, Lens: Sigma 180mm F/3.5 Macro, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern, 1/100 sec - F/16, Sensitivity: ISO 500

dragon5.jpg

Nikon D2X, Lens: Sigma 180mm F/3.5 Macro, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Metering Mode: Spot, 1/350 sec - F/16, Sensitivity: ISO 800

Next time, I am going to set up in the water.
 
I saw this and thought "What kind of bird is a 'skitter hawk?" Aw, I love dragonflies, great pics! Silly canucks and their quaint terminology. :p
 
Back
Top