• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sketch up files and help

vile_asid

n00b
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
30
Hey I am new to sketch up and suck at it, I am trying to do a model of the case I want to build but I was wondeirng if anyone had file with one of the following products in it to save me time( I have non I work 65 hours a week)

I am looking for:

General desktop harddrive
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic card
XFX GeForce 7900GT or any card same dimentions
Aerocool ZeroDBA powersupply or anything about the same size
Zalman CU7000 heatsink
Asus A8N-VM CSM Motheboard or anything close.

Thank you SOOO much I am beat and need to go to bed now cause I work 6:30am-7pm monday though friday and saturday till noon

Thank you again.
 
What do you need sketch up for? You're building a computer not a house. Get the components, weigh them in your hands, put them together. It's not critical to "design" with software, all of the components can sit on your lap. Even if you're building the thing from scratch, get to it, use cardboard to approx. mobo and card sizes.
 
I can’t speak for the op, but for me its much easier to work out my ideas in sketchup. Placing the components inside the space available and building the frame around them, actually seeing how each piece will fit and what clearance issues arise. And most importantly (to me) making major changes without having already bought the materials.

Perfect example is the project I’ve been thinking about building. Had I just bought the materials and got to it, I’d be kicking myself in the ass because I wouldn’t have been able to fit everything inside nor add some little things.
And not to hijack, but pics are worth more then a wall of text… Nothing fancy, just what I want.

Few of the different revisions
builds.jpg


deskd.jpg


and yes, I’ve done the cardboard thing also. :D
 
Alchemic said:
What do you need sketch up for? You're building a computer not a house. Get the components, weigh them in your hands, put them together. It's not critical to "design" with software, all of the components can sit on your lap. Even if you're building the thing from scratch, get to it, use cardboard to approx. mobo and card sizes.


Normaly I am that way too, but I cant afford everythign at once, I get things as I get paid, so I would like to start building before that and well I dont want to bend a hard right angle with my metal then choose to go with a curve.
 
A far as the hard drive goes, It's essentially a rectangular prism, with dimensions very nearly exactly 1" x 4" x 6".
 
RES_78 said:
I can’t speak for the op, but for me its much easier to work out my ideas in sketchup. Placing the components inside the space available and building the frame around them, actually seeing how each piece will fit and what clearance issues arise. And most importantly (to me) making major changes without having already bought the materials.

Perfect example is the project I’ve been thinking about building. Had I just bought the materials and got to it, I’d be kicking myself in the ass because I wouldn’t have been able to fit everything inside nor add some little things.
And not to hijack, but pics are worth more then a wall of text… Nothing fancy, just what I want.

and yes, I’ve done the cardboard thing also. :D

did you ever actually do that with your desk? i was thinking of building my secondary computer into a desk eventually. Just have to get to moving out my parent's house, buying a decent desk with the space, and plan out the layout with parts and separating the HDD space from the machine, because i would be doing a 1-2 TB raid setup.
 
board2death986 said:
did you ever actually do that with your desk? i was thinking of building my secondary computer into a desk eventually. Just have to get to moving out my parent's house, buying a decent desk with the space, and plan out the layout with parts and separating the HDD space from the machine, because i would be doing a 1-2 TB raid setup.

Nah, not yet anyways. I'm still working on the layout and such, plus its my main box so I am trying to get it all worked out before I pull everything apart. Good thing is that I was able to model my desk into sketchup and work with that space, decided to build something I could pull out of the desk if needed rather then have to take the whole desk apart.
 
Back
Top