SK8V problem

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
My SK8V mobo won't start up...

I'm running it with an Athlon FX-51, Kingston DDR333, Radeon9800XT...

Any ideas why I'm not even getting a BIOS beep?

Are you using registered ram? (Also, the FX-51 is meant for DDR400)

Well i had 2 COUNT EM 2 DOA Asus SK8N, and yep no beep nuthing, tested my memory and FX chip on my buddies setup and it worked fine, Rmaed the board. Couldnt wait so i went to a local store(TIGER DIRECT) and brought 1 home DOA!!! MUTHERFUKKERS, so i went to Tiger Direct and they said, Sorry Bro we cant take DOA returns ship em to the manufacter, i said Fuk you guys i just bought this thing 2 hours ago, they said nope. And like a idiot i paid cash, if it was on my Credit Card i woulda just called them up and had them take care of it, So 2 hours later i had my girlfriend go into Tiger Direct and she flirted with the nerd boyz and told them she bought the wrong motherboard for her brother and just wanted to return it, Ya the toolrods gave her the cash. She came outside gave me the cash and i walked back in and bought another one( I know i RMAes the bad one but it was friday and i had all weekend off ) came home and it fired right up. Still got another one coming from Newegg lol. Anyway sounds like the MOBO is Shorted out or bad, Clear the CMOS and even pop out the Battery too, if that dont work Send it back.

Hooah.

I got the mobo working finally, I think it was the CMOS and the GFX card messing it up.

Now, however, I set up my HDs in RAID 0 via the Promise onboard controller...however, WinXP doesn't register that I have HDs when I go to install it.

NAPALOEN guess what i had the same problem and you need to update to the newest driver before you install wnidows or it will never recognize it, i figured it out on my own but look at this email i got Directly from ASUS it will help you out as well
Thank you for your support of our products!

Here are the directions for Installing Windows 2k/XP on the Promise RAID controller.

DRIVERS

Download:

We recommend using the latest available drivers when configuring your RAID controller. You can find the latest Promise RAID drivers on the ASUS download site:

http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx

If this site is slow, or is having problems, you can also use our download mirror site:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx

Download and unzip the file, then extract the contents to a newly created folder. There should be 3 files and 5 folders in this directory. Ignore the readme file, and copy the other two files to a blank, formatted floppy disk. Then, find the folder that corresponds to your operating system and copy it to that floppy disk, as well.

Support CD:

If you do not have access to the Internet, then start by browsing the support CD included with the motherboard. Look for the DRIVERS directory. Inside that is a directory called PROMISE. There should be 3 files and 5 folders in this directory. Ignore the readme file, and copy the other two files to a blank, formatted floppy disk. Then, find the folder that corresponds to your operating system and copy it to that floppy disk, as well.

INSTALLATION

1. Start with clean, blank hard drives connected to the PROMISE Controller. These drives will not show up on the motherboard's BIOS screen.
For a STRIPE array: THIS PROCEDURE WILL DESTORY ALL DATA ON THE DRIVES!
For a MIRROR: If you want to mirror a drive with existing information you will be asked to copy that information to the new drive. PLEASE BE CERTAIN WHICH DRIVE HAS YOUR DATA. We recommend setting the drive with DATA on it as the primary MASTER, but it will also work on the secondary. We also recommend backing up any information you do not want to lose. If you copy the wrong drive, you will lose your information!!

2. Set up your Array:
Upon first boot, the Promise BIOS should tell you that there are an equal number of RAID arrays defined as there are hard drives connected to the Promise controller. Press [CTRL-F] to enter setup, then delete all of the existing arrays. This will not remove any data from your drives. Choose between the defaults, which should be Security (Mirror) or Performance (Stripe).

3. Boot to your 2K/XP CD & start the installation. As Windows is first setting up, at the first blue screen hit the [F6] key to load a third party mass storage driver. If you miss this, you will be warned that there are no hard drives attached. If this happens, restart the machine and tap the “F6” Key a few times as the CD spins up. Windows will go through its install routine, then prompt you for an OEM disk for your MASS STORAGE CONTROLLER. Insert the floppy disk you created earlier, and load the first driver on the list. This will allow you to use your RAID. LEAVE THIS FLOPPY IN THE DRIVE!

4. Let Windows setup the partition and install:
Choose install to the empty disk & choose NTFS FULL format, not quick. If you don't have any other hard disks on your regular IDE channels, there may be a LONG pause after the format; be patient.

5. If your system paused during the install, it will do so again when booting into Windows. Once the install is completely finished, enter the BIOS Setup, go to the MAIN tab, then change "Auto" to "None" for all channels where no drives are connected. NOTE: This applies to your regular IDE channels, NOT your RAID Array.

6. Let Windows run through all of its setup routines and updates.

7. You will now be able to use your RAID disk as a storage device!

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance please have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 502-995-0883 (M-F 8:30 AM - 12:00 AM EST).

Best Regards,
Technical Support Team
NT001

Back