sizzzzzling: bfg gtx280 $250 AR at fry's

270+tax=294, rebate in 3months of 20=274... think i'll pass. and if it's not available at your local B&M, add 7 shipping. tax blows ..

I'm still pissed I sat on my hands for the $190 GTX 280 buy.com deal. I'm bored with my rig and would have liked to have gone tri-SLI.

wow.....this might just be worth venturing into Fremont for.

Great deal!

Lol. Yeah. Normally there is absolutely no reason to visit Fremont unless you have friends or family there... but even then, they should be visiting you, not the other way around.

270+tax=294, rebate in 3months of 20=274... think i'll pass. and if it's not available at your local B&M, add 7 shipping. tax blows ..
Total for me is $276.80 - $20 rebate = $256.80 AR. It's the best deal if you live in a state without Fry's. Shipping is much lower than tax.

Yay, another Fry's tempter deal. The Woodland Hills store is (sort of) on my way home from work.

But blowing $300 on a card when I don't have tons of free time (basically only the weekends now), and the fact that just not as many people are getting nips, tucks, facial implants and fillers these days means I need to worry about losing a job - thus how to pay a $14k car loan means a lot of hold backs on otherwise no thought impulse buys.

But then again, I have a 0% (until October) Chase card and a 100 day trade up possibility with BFG...... Damn you [H] Deals!

[edit]
p.s. The rebate link on Fry's site is dead ATM, but for in store pickups it should print out @ the register of course....

if the rebate form gets fixed i'm in. which means i'll have a few 8800 gts 512's up for sale

Yay, another Fry's tempter deal. The Woodland Hills store is (sort of) on my way home from work.

But blowing $300 on a card when I don't have tons of free time (basically only the weekends now), and the fact that just not as many people are getting nips, tucks, facial implants and fillers these days means I need to worry about losing a job - thus how to pay a $14k car loan means a lot of hold backs on otherwise no thought impulse buys.

But then again, I have a 0% (until October) Chase card and a 100 day trade up possibility with BFG...... Damn you [H] Deals!

[edit]
p.s. The rebate link on Fry's site is dead ATM, but for in store pickups it should print out @ the register of course....[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. I got the GTX 260 a couple of days ago, and did not get the rebate form at the register.
Had to go to the online ad and print it out-hope that doesn't couse an issue.

Nick

When you are done making a purchase, before leaving the building you can always ask the "telesales" people to print out your rebate receipt. Usually this area is on the other side of the cash registers. For example in my store you go to registers 45/46. Ask nicely and they will always do it in a expedient manner.

I love that Oregon has no sales tax, now if only i had the money to spend on the card...*sigh*

So whats a better deal, this at $250 AR or the 260 at $170 AR? I tend to like BFG much more the XFX, but is the 280 that much better then the 260 to justify the $80 difference?

I thinks these cards will be $250.00 in no time, Amazon.com has a BFG 280 for
$299.00 all day, free shipping.

I want to bite, but I think the 295 is my next step. My
highly overclocked 260 Benches beyond the 280, so I don't
know if moving to a 280 is going to be a major step up.

The thing with the XFX gtx 260 is that at the beginning of that sale it was going for $170 + FC2 + COD5 : ( so that deal owned this one, to bad they switched the games out with a 4gb flash drive.

Yah, that 260 with the games woulda been a no brainer. I never saw it when they had that offer though. Kinda sucks they still don't offer CoD5 with it when a bunch of the cheaper 9800s come with it.

Really tempted to jump on this, but I'm also interested in what ATI will be coming out with soonish.. grrr can't decide!

So whats a better deal, this at $250 AR or the 260 at $170 AR? I tend to like BFG much more the XFX, but is the 280 that much better then the 260 to justify the $80 difference?
In my opinion no. The 280 under the best of situations is 12% faster than the core 216 version of the 260 (at 1920x1200). But in most games is at most 10% faster but often less than that. Paying 80 dollars more for a 250 dollar card compared to a 170 dollar card for 12% is not an oppurtune cost per dollar. That is a 47% mark up, for such a small percent increase you will probably never notice unless you compare the two side by side or use a fps counter such as fraps.

A more advantageous use of your dollar in my mind would be to save up another 80 to 90 dollars and grab a second one for sli (if your motherboard is sli compatible.) At least you will be gaining a 40 to 60% increase for double your dollar spent.

Thanks for the input Roland. That pretty much confirmed my math from looking at the various reviews. Seems that most people can get a very nice OC on the 260 as welll so that's what I went with.

Thanks for the input Roland. That pretty much confirmed my math from looking at the various reviews. Seems that most people can get a very nice OC on the 260 as welll so that's what I went with.

should be pretty tough to find a meaningful review now since when the card came out it was $600 and the 260 was $400. how times have changed...

Nothing's changed. The GTX295 replaced the GTX 280 at the $500 mark and the GTX285 replaced the GTX260 at the $3XX mark. And what exactly does "meaningful" review mean? There are still articles on the GTX285 and GTX260 being churned out based on current prices.

man this is such a sick deal they retail for about 120 more than the asking price....

Back