• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Singled threaded performance

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
1,194
I need to build a box that in the short term (next 6-9 months) will mostly run a single-threaded workload, and I need that workload to run as fast as possible. Eventually the workload will become multithreaded, so I don't want to err to an extreme. If I need a "best single-thread performance" multicore CPU, what would my top three or so choices be right now? I'd like to say within the Intel arena, but am open to Core 2, i3/i5/i7, Xeon and other architectures.

Most of the comparative benchmarking I've found is so multithread-fixated these days that I can't easily find the information I'm looking for, at least for modern processors.
 
"Core 2, i3/i5/i7, Xeon and other architectures" Are all Intel, But i think the best single thread performance is going to be a dual core with a high clock speed.
 
The best single threaded performance will be a current generation sandy bridge processor. i7 2600. Nothing AMD or Intel will produce in the rest of 2011 will beat that processor in single threaded performance. If you overclock you could get the i5 2500K and overclock it to a similar frequency of the i7 2600K and get similar single threaded performance.
 
Last edited:
For best performance with low thread count workloads that have four or less threads you want a sandy bridge chip.

Unless you are on a really tight budget there is no point going dual core anymore because all the sandy brige dual cores are either budget parts or low power parts and don't have as high clockspeeds as the quad cores.

If you want the best, get an i7-2600 (add K if you want to overclock it) at arround $300. Second best (and in low thread count workloads only marginally worse) at arround $200 would be the i5-2500 (again add K if you want to overclock).
 
Thanks, that pretty much answers my question.

Now to figure out how to balance the fact that I really could use this now against the [other] fact that the Sandy Bridge on-chip transcoding is going to be extremely valuable to me in a couple of months, but is a walled-off feature in the P67 that's available today. Argh, Intel, why did you have to do it like this.
 
Yeah the i7 2600K chip is the new single threaded king given its easy 5Ghz+ OC.

The x58 990x would be the multi-threaded desktop king still

The x5680 in 1x, 2x server/workstation MBs would be the ultimate multi-threaded king right now unless you go way off the deep end for 4x or the new octa cores just released and get multiple of those but they are very very expensive.
 
Back
Top