Single to Dual Core - Format?

RexPokinghorn

2[H]4U
I'm not sure if I just suck at searching, but I couldn't find anything regarding this. I'm going to upgrading from a single core (3200+ Venice) to an Opteron 165 and I was wondering if I'd be plug & play, or if I would need to reformat?

Thanks!

swap it out, boot up, give it a few minutes to load the new ACPI driver, reboot, done

although some people believe a clean install is best, but i think thats a plecebo effect, a clean re-install of XP is always faster no matter what ;)

nobody_here said:
swap it out, boot up, give it a few minutes to load the new ACPI driver, reboot, done

although some people believe a clean install is best, but i think thats a plecebo effect, a clean re-install of XP is always faster no matter what ;)
true. but I'm a big fan of reinstalling :)

nobody_here said:

True. It's just that I JUST reformatted and I forgot how long it takes to install all my games and software and firefox extensions :eek:

RexPokinghorn said:
True. It's just that I JUST reformatted and I forgot how long it takes to install all my games and software and firefox extensions :eek:

well, game installing doesnt take that long......do what i always do, use my custom slipstreamed XP SP2 disc to install unattended with the answer file built in, so thats really quick, <30 minutes from boot to done, and then install the game you want to play tonight, if you want to play a different game tomorrow night, install it then, it only takes minutes, instead of sitting there for an hour installing game after game that you aren't going to play all in one night anyways

I had a really long boot up time after my switch to dual core with my lack of reinstall. Fixed it with a reinstall so whatever.

I'm a big fan of formatting/reinstalling after any major hardware change. XP is pretty good at dealing with new hardware configurations, but it's still Microsoft we're talking about here.

i only get a new CPU/mobo/video card/power supply every couple of years or so. I take that time to do a good thorough cleaning, replace all the fans, cables, etc. It then seems natural to do a reformat to get rid of all the accumilated junk in the OS as well. So for me, a reformat is just a part of the upgrading process and really enhances that fresh new machine feeling.

There's nothing to stop you from installing it seeing how it goes and if it's not smooth or if you get errors you could always format.

I just popped mine in without having to reformat because I have loads of apps and work on my pc I'd rather not have to back up atm.

RexPokinghorn said:
OK, you guys convinced me not to be lazy about it :D I'm sure I'd regret it if I don't.

I switched over to dual core awhile back without reformatting and it worked fine. I ended up reformating a couple weeks later because of other hardware changes, but a processor change really shouldn't require a reformat at all.

I also switched to a dual core w/o a reformat and its going fine: no hiccups or surprises. I just did the M$ hotfix and AMD driver - no sweat.

I *did* have to update my bios but that only added about 5 minutes to the process.

Back