Single slot cooling idea

Pylon

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have an idea for single slot coolers. Since most single slot coolers these days simply blow hot air around inside of the case instead of expelling them out the back, I came up with this idea that would blow it out the back of the case:
3583640100_93d37e9ac7_o.png

So basically the PCB would be similar to those found on low profile cards. A heatpipe based cooler would be on top of the PCB vertically, and there would be a vent about half the height of the card in the back where the hot air would get blown out by the centrifugal fan. However this will only take up one expansion slot. This leaves room for only a single DVI or VGA connector so they'res two of them on a cable.

Any thoughts?

Seems pretty reasonable... not practical for high end gpu's that require dual slot cooling anyways.
The high end parts need all the pcb space they can get.

I would still patent this tho. you never know.

you could always fit some sort of "tunnel" over the core and memory since its still a single slot cooler. the pcb doesnt have to be completely naked. this could help give the core and memory get a bit of airflow instead of it all be directed away from it.

the cable would have to be detachable since it wouldnt fit through the slot in the computer case.

It's a decent idea, but it wouldn't work on any reasonably powerful card since it would require a very small PCB in order to maintain a small enough overall card size.

Last edited:
This is exactly how the 48XX and 2XX coolers work and many more before them except the pcbs are bigger and the heatsink covers the entire card. Neat idea for low profile pcbs but there aren't any powerful enough for real gaming.

Back