Single server - poor downstream...

Masejoer

Gawd
We've got a web/mail server that apparently cannot download at any speed higher than like 20KB/sec. SMTP grabs files extremely slow. We can FTP files up to the server at 150KB/sec. The server can upload at 800KB/sec. It runs Windows 2003 Web Edition and runs only IIS/SMTP.

A server next to it can download at 800KB/sec.

Any idea what the cause is? I've attempted killing many services and it remains slow. The system is clean and has little resources being used. If this can't be solved, when we will have to replace it due to larger emails (attachments) timing out.

Any way to get an output of the interface statistics that the server is connected to?

manually set your duplex and speed settings on the network interfaces. sounds similar to an issue I ran into with auto negotiation between a switch and server a while back.

Any way to get an output of the interface statistics that the server is connected to?

manually set your duplex and speed settings on the network interfaces. sounds similar to an issue I ran into with auto negotiation between a switch and server a while back.

In regards to the interface, not at this time as our decent router is taking a break while an issue is resolved. The interfaces are manually set to 100mbit full at the moment but good point - I may try turning auto-neg back ON on the server and watch it. IIRC though, it wasn't the quickest even behind the other router (a Juniper) that was hard set at 100/full for both sides of the link.

So apparently switching back to auto negotiate fixed this. Interesting...normally hard setting things leads to better stability but again, the interface this server was connected to also changed due to flaky router firmware.

Edit:
Oh, and it auto-neg'd to 100/full.

Back