Single Raptor OR 2x300GB RAID0

MajorGN

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
96
Hey guys,

I've finally sorted out my build for myself a couple days ago, but I still have my main OS/Games HDD to choose, and it's being a bummer.

I've been doing so much research on it, and there are so many mixed opinions, although there are more people saying go for a raptor. I could say I am a gamer, so the PC will be a games PC. And what I thought was going to be the easiest thing has now turned to the hardest lol.

Should I go for a Single £150 Raptor or 2x300GB's Seagates in RAID0? Which is actually £50 cheaper. Il add also that I will have a 400GB Backup HDD.

Thanks,
 
It depends if you want to risk having problems with the RAID-0 array. There are very few, if not no, benefits from using RAID in gaming. I suggest going with the raptor, 150GB version, right?
 
This is a little off-topic, but i just had a gander at your recent build, where did you buy your parts from? I'm in the UK, too, and i'm just trying to find some descent retailers to get the stuff for my upcoming build.
 
This is a little off-topic, but i just had a gander at your recent build, where did you buy your parts from? I'm in the UK, too, and i'm just trying to find some descent retailers to get the stuff for my upcoming build.

I have a thread on another forum which states my last chosen parts. Not on HardForum though I don't think. Maybe it is an old list. Anyway here is the new stuff I will be buying in the upcoming few weeks. Retailer is SCAN.co.uk. Whats your new build going to be?

finalqq7.jpg
 
Thanks. It's going to be pretty similar to yours, not finalised yet, though.
CPU: E6600
Motherboard: eVGA 680i
GPU: eVGA 8800GTX ACS3 Edition
RAM: TBC
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9700 (Probably)
Hard Drive 1: 36GB Raptor (Expensive, considering it's only going to be used for Vista)
Hard Drive 2: 150GB Raptor (For games)
Monitor: TBC (Cheap 20" widescreen)
PSU: Silverstone ST85ZF (Probably, although i would prefer a modular power supply)
Case: CM Stacker 830
DVDRW: Whatever's cheapest
Floppy: Same as above

That's just about everything, i think. Altogether i'm hoping on spending under £2,200, which is a lot for a 16-year-old hoping to fund university next year. We get so screwed over in the UK, i'd probably be paying about half as much in the US. It's a joke, i really is.
 
Yep, it's way overpriced in the UK. Monitors are a bummer, can get a 20"" for $350. Which is just over £160 here. And the same costs you £350. It's like they double everything. I would like to point out some things on your build though.

A) Your cooler is not that decent, seen few reviews of it. And its not good, see the reviews on mine, very good stuff, and cheaper, was chosen as best CPU cooler on many reviews.

B) Hope you know what your doing on the eVGA board lol.

C) You may need a backup drive just incase, two of my friends this week have just lost EVERYTHING on there hdd's.

D) Do you really need a 8800GTX? Drop down to a GTS and OC it. This could then go towards your RAM.

You have £800 more to spend though. Heh. Why don't you keep some of the money on hold and update your Monitor and GPU maybe later in the year.
 
Thank you for the advice. I may well change my decision now though, after hearing that. I thought it was a pretty common cooler, the Zalman 9700; i just assumed it was good. I'm not big on backup space and data storing. The only thing i will ever need to back up is game saves, all the work i do is on my laptop. Since i'm building this at around June/July time, once i've finished AS-levels, i probably won't be getting the 8800 GTX anyway since, i'm hoping, ATI's counterpart will be a better performer. I, too, hope i know what i'm doing with the eVGA board! This is my first build, too; so i guess i'm being a little ambitious but hopefully most of the problems with the 680i chipset will have been sorted out by the time i build. As for the RAM, i'm just going to get some cheap PC2-6400 with 4-4-4-12 timings, since i won't be overclocking by FSB over 400Mhz anyway and i will run the RAM at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB.

That's another thing, RAM prices here in the UK are way too high. On newegg you can get PC2-6400 RAM with 4-4-4-12 timings, with D9 modules as well, for about $200. Here, you're looking at about £250. Ridiculous.
 
That extra money has to buy the OS, monitor and other bits and pieces though. Plus i need a new desk. Heh, Vista Home Premium Retail in the US is $227, here it's £200. God i love tax.
 
Back
Top