Single rad for 2600K

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Here is where I am at:

I have a 2600K and a Swiftech 2x120mm rad. It is doing a great job of cooling my processor however I am getting ready to phase in 3 waterblocks for my 6970s.

What I propose doing is getting a 3 fan rad for my GPUs. (They create absolutely far larger amounts of thermal energy than my CPU does).

I have a Corsair 800D with a 3 fan rad space up top.

I want to ask the question if the community thinks that a single fan rad is sufficient for cooling the 2600K at 4.8ghz +/- 100mhz?

I am trying to avoid going with an external type rad setup however the option is open to me. I am just not sure how I would approach an external radiator.

With out getting too technical do you think I should maintain my 2 fan for the CPU and somehow add in a second 3 fan for the GPUs? Place the CPU on a single fan rad? Or do you think a single 3 fan could handle 3 6970s worth of heat waste as well as a 2600K, the heat from the pump, and residual ambient heat from the motherboard heatsoaking the hoses as well?

Thanks.

Single rad would be something like the h50/h60/h70 which are all sufficient for a mildly OC'd i7. I think you can squeeze a 2x120 rad inside the bottom of the case or dangling off the back though which would be a better bet. Would be nice with one of those dual DDC bay res tops that xspc puts out. I'm having the hardest time trying to hold myself back from getting back into WC.

Yeah I have a MCP655B pump so I think I have more than enough pressure and flow to feed 3 GPU and a Processor but maybe a new pump top would help. Im not sure about a bigger res. Res dont need that big just hold enough to keep the bubbles out really. I also considered cooling my motherboard but then again the Max IV extreme has massive heatsinks which are actually quite effective.

I have a single 140 rad with push pull slow speed fans cooling my 2600k. A separate loop with a 360 rad cools my pair of 6950s.

It works pretty well.

It maxes out at about 60c running prime, gaming and general stuff never sees it over 40c.

I do, one for each loop, two identical 10w Laing DDCs in an xspc dual bay dual res.

I wouldn't put the heat from these gpus into a loop with my cpu... unless I had one massive radiator!

Using H70 on 5ghz 2500k....core temps in the high 60s C in IBT.

Have run 5.4ghz/1.5v as well - was also fine.

So yes I think you will be more than fine with single rad.

Using H70 on 5ghz 2500k....core temps in the high 60s C in IBT.

Have run 5.4ghz/1.5v as well - was also fine.

So yes I think you will be more than fine with single rad.

Cool. I will buy a tri rad for my GPUs and then use a single rad on the CPU using push pull. I will have a dual rad just sitting in a box :-(

Well I just bought a MCP-320QP (1/4" BSPP) Stackable Rad from Microcenter yesterday. Just finished testing my loop for leaks and getting this thing back together. I will take a pic later but its nothing too special looking just a watercool loop.

Anyways triple RAD is SOOOO overkill for a Overclocked 2600K. Im idle @ 30c (ambient room temp) and fully loaded I was at 70c avg/4 cores lowest core#1 was 60c. Load was generated by Prime95 using small FFT testing across all cores w/ HT on.

Anyways this tri-rad is installed getting ready to cool 3 full blocked 6970 reference cards. I am going to use either my dual RAD or a single Rad for my CPU.

Just wanted to share. In case anyone was contemplating a triple for their CPU. You can best save the case space on something else in my opinion.

Can't you stack the triple and dual?

Yes But I have no room in my case for stacking. I could always move stuff around im sure but I really have no room. The triple rad is freaking huge already. Im thinking of going with a single rad push pull on the higher up back end 140 slot on the Corsair 800d case I will just add it to the loop since I believe that the MCP655 (Laing D5?) is strong enough for 3 vga and 1cpu and 2 rads. But anymore I will need to do a boost pump.

The problem with the MCP655 is that its actually a huge water pump. So im using it in side my 5 1/2 bays so I have no CD/DVD drive. I have an external USB I use for the only 3 times a year I use it.

Can do like I did and put a tripple in the bottom and the top. My 2600K never breaks 58c @4.6ghz on prime 95. Have a 6970 on the loop also.

Can do like I did and put a tripple in the bottom and the top. My 2600K never breaks 58c @4.6ghz on prime 95. Have a 6970 on the loop also.

Yeah I cant do that either. I have one of those majorly big ass Corsair AX1200 unit taking up half the cage. I am thinking of busting out the old MIG welder and forming an aluminum bracket and do a cool vertical mount rad on top of the case!

I have my 120.3 rad mounted, externally, on the roof of my HAF, horizontally tho!

I have my 120.3 rad mounted, externally, on the roof of my HAF, horizontally tho!

Do you have a picture? Im interested haha

And Makeroflostsouls:

I just looked it up on Frozen CPU and you are a lifesaver recommending that. I am wondering if I will be able to fit my old Dual RAD down bottom now in the 800D. I thought about doing the horizontal mount just to keep my case temps down but I do believe the CPU doesn't generate enough heat under normal use to really warm up the inside of the case so this PSU extender might work great.

I don't have a recent piccy but here's one from when I first did the build with a single loop... you'll get the idea of how it mounts at least.

be9a10d6db75e46717458890de1cf03cd6271919d09689a38a56cc39003cddff6g.jpg

Thankyou 2 above posters for your pictures. I appreciate it.

Here is mine for now as of 10 mins ago. Its still a work in progress and the iPhone 3gs takes horrible pictures.

IMG_0781.JPG

Back