• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Single or Dual-Core?

I am reading a Tom's Hardware article on AMD's X2 CPUs, and they did a comparison between the 4800+ and 840D. AMD smokes the pentium in almost every test :D. The only difference I saw between the 4600+ and the 4800+ was the cache (512k x2 vs 1mb x2, respectively), and when I did a chart compare from Tom's between the two AMD CPUs the difference between the two was, for the most part, almost indistinguishable (like < 10 frames on games, and between 0 and 20 seconds for applications like winrar and divx).

I originally was going to build an Intel box because of a deal at a local computer store, intel mobo with 805D for less than $200, but when I got wind of the AMD price drop I said f*** that! I am glad I decided to go AMD, after seeing the benchmarks :)

EDIT: At the end of the article, Tom's recommended steering clear of Intel, based on benchmarks and power-consumption.
Tom's Hardware said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/09/amd/index.html
The Pentium D system manages to burn over 200 watts as soon as it's turned on, even when it isn't doing anything. It even exceeds 310 W when working and 350+ W with the graphics card employed! AMD proves that this is not necessary at all: a range of 125 to 190 Watts is much more acceptable (235 counting the graphics card). And that is without Cool & Quiet even enabled.

I think that wraps up the CPU issue quite nicely!
 
Back
Top