single display gaming

hardennoob

n00b
hey guys, i have a single display 23" monitor that does 1920x1080 resolutions.

would a 7950 be overkill for single display gaming?

i was originally thinking of getting the 6950 but after doing some research, finding one that can unlock to 6970 is pretty scarce so i jumped up to the 7950.

maybe the 560ti is better suited for my display setup?

you need to list the rest of your specs in detail when asking questions like this. a 7950 is most certainly not overkill if you want to crank the settings in all games and have a system that will not limit a 7950's performance.

nope. never overkill, maxing bf3 on ultra with 7970 here @ 1080p still gets slowdown. so theres never too much power.

you need to list the rest of your specs in detail when asking questions like this. a 7950 is most certainly not overkill if you want to crank the settings in all games and have a system that will not limit a 7950's performance.

sorry about that. i actually dont have a setup since i will be building a new computer but if i were to guess what im going for..

i5 2500k
asus sabertooth/p67pro or asrock extreme gen 3/4
8gb ddr3
hd
23" 1920x1080 monitor

currently running a c2d, 8800gts, 2gb ddr2. :p

well once you build a 2500k or better system their might be other gpus to choose from. but like I said earlier, a 7950 is not overkill if you have the system to push it.

thanks cannondale06! i'll probably go with the 7950s then.

btw, are you a road/mtb'er? haha

7950s? now 7950 crossfire might be a bit overkill at 1920x1080. :p

I am a retired road racer now getting fatter each week. :D

whoops! i meant a singular 7950. didnt mean to use plural form.

thats interesting, i was a mtb'er but i just recently purchased a roadbike :D

nope. never overkill, maxing bf3 on ultra with 7970 here @ 1080p still gets slowdown. so theres never too much power.

Interesting, thanks for letting us know. I'm on a 5870 with a single display myself and was considering the 7970 as a replacement but if it still lags at 1080p, I will probably do my best to wait and see what the GTX 680 has to offer.

I too am going to be building a 2500K here in the next week or so and am going to be going with a 6950 or 70. Would like one of the 7970 but the budget just isn't going to allow it this year.

I wouldn't think it would be overkill, honestly. I saw a noticeble improvement when I upgraded a single 6950 to crossfire. I'm assuming crossfire is about as fast as a 7950/7970. Most of the difference were in high end video card dependent settings like AA or SSAO and other shadow options. I'd go for it because you never know what might come out down the road and make use of the card.

I have a similar build to what you are planning

i5 2500k
16gb ram
Sapphire 7950 OC
Gigabyte Z68x-UD3H-B3
Asus VH242H

BF3 is nice. I can max out settings in it but it isn't 100% smooth. I'm not very picky, but i know there are plenty of people here who are :p.

Crossfire may be in the future, but not any time soon.

Playing BF3 here too and I just upgraded from an Asus 5850 to a Zotac GTX 570 and its alot smoother. You also have to take into consideration your ping, map size and amount of players (16 vs 64 makes a big difference). My rig seems to be similar to most of the people who replied above (non "k") and I've bumped my settings from medium to ultra/high. I haven't tweaked it because I just let it auto detect. The game looks awesome! Granted, you'll always have a few hiccups here and there but as others have indicated, even with a 7970 and 3GB of RAM you can't compeletely eliminate that. There are more factors involved than just video card power... unless, of course, you have $1200 to run 7970s in SLI!!!! haha

I went with a 6970 to save a few bucks for my 2600k rig. I'm pretty sure I could play 2-3 other games in the backround with this [email protected]. My GPU is nearly maxed out in BF3, while my Sandy seems pretty bored with the whole ordeal, hovering around 40% usage.... :(

Oh well, I guess I can add another 6970 later.

Back