single core hd playback

Mccaula718

Gawd
Ok so i just bought a new hdtv and i want to use my old hardware(second rig in sig) for a htpc. I know single core may be cutting it but i was hoping the video card could offset some of the load. I can play hd on youtube fine, and that is without any gpu acceleration bc flash doesn't support it til the new update next year.

Does that mean my pc will def be able to handle bluerays if i buy a drive since they support gpu acceleration?

I would assume, especially since netbooks run HD content, and those specs are above a netbook(i believe), so you should be relativly fine.....especially with shooting some off to the GFX

I would assume, especially since netbooks run HD content, and those specs are above a netbook(i believe), so you should be relativly fine.....especially with shooting some off to the GFX

netbooks run 1/2 HD and call it HD. True HD is 1080p or 1920x1080 resolution. Netbooks (at least the 100s ive seen) Run at 720p max or 1280x768 resolution. There is a big difference. As far as pushing BRs with it, you may be pushing it a bit. I guess you'll see when you try

My A64 3000+ can playback even high bitrate 720p h264 using CoreAVC. If you get your video card to do it there will next to no cpu useage.

netbooks run 1/2 HD and call it HD. True HD is 1080p or 1920x1080 resolution. Netbooks (at least the 100s ive seen) Run at 720p max or 1280x768 resolution. There is a big difference. As far as pushing BRs with it, you may be pushing it a bit. I guess you'll see when you try

HD is anything above or including 1280*720

My old amd64 4000 struggled to play hddvds and even then they werent really watchable

:rolleyes: HD is anything above 480x640 interlaced.

Anyways, upgrade your video to a 4350 (4550 or a 4650 would be much better) and you should be fine.

720x480i//640x480i - SD
480p - EDTV, no?

So isn't HD anything above 480p/EDTV?

depending on the system your building.. exactly what processor.. what socket type.. in the AGP catigory your only choice is HD3k series cards.. for PCI-e anything from the 8800GT or higher or HD3k series or higher.. do not use a card with a G80 GPU since it can only accelerate mpeg2..

and people quit arguing over what is and isnt HD the original question was never about that..

btw flash does support hardware accel.. they just fixed it with the 10.1 update for ATI cards..

Flash hardware acceleration didn't work well for me on Win7x64 AMD [email protected] ATI HD4890 with Flash10.1 and latest CATdrivers. It worked in the sense it offloaded off the CPU, but it caused a lot of stuttering in the video. I also had the pixelated video glitch, reloading the page, resizing would sometimes fix that. I tried cleaning out drivers and uninstalling Flash players several times, several reboots, reinstalls, and still same problem.

Secondly, can anyone explain why my folk's laptop with a 1.73Ghz Pentium M w/ GMA900 video can play 1080P silky smooth? Although at LCD res of 1366x768, still, it's eye candy smooth, I don't get it...

Flash hardware acceleration didn't work well for me on Win7x64 AMD [email protected] ATI HD4890 with Flash10.1 and latest CATdrivers. It worked in the sense it offloaded off the CPU, but it caused a lot of stuttering in the video. I also had the pixelated video glitch, reloading the page, resizing would sometimes fix that. I tried cleaning out drivers and uninstalling Flash players several times, several reboots, reinstalls, and still same problem.

Secondly, can anyone explain why my folk's laptop with a 1.73Ghz Pentium M w/ GMA900 video can play 1080P silky smooth? Although at LCD res of 1366x768, still, it's eye candy smooth, I don't get it...

yup thats what flash 10.1 is for.. its suppose to fix the hardware accel issue on ATI cards..

ive never seen a pentium M able to run a 1080p before.. i have a 1.73ghz pentium M with the pos GMA900 series igp and it cant play it at all unless your talking about you tube 720p/1080p which in that case its because the video is insanely compressed for web access reasons that the bitrates not actually any higher then what a standard xvid would be its just a higher resolution..

Are you sure its a Pentium M? Seems like it could be a Pentium Dual Core.

I've never seen a PM pull off 1080p.

For the record, if you want to get the most performance out of a CPU for HD H264 decoding, CoreAVC is your best bet. Its by far the most efficient H264 decoder. My single core Atom netbook can play 720p encodes flawlessly with it.

My 64 3000+ could barely handle 720p with a 7600gt with coreavc (might have been some stuff slowing my system down since it was old). You would probably need a gpu capable of offloading the pressure from the cpu.

In your case Shadowsong, your GPU wasn't doing a thing. Its was all on the CPU. Are you sure you where using CoreAVC? Just installing it doesn't mean its being used. For instance, in MPC-HC, you need to add it to the "External Decoders" list in the Options, then set it to "Preferred"

The newest CoreAVC has CUDA support as well, so if your Nvidia GPU supports CUDA, it will offload the whole thing to the GPU. I can play high bitrate 1080p material while my CPU idles.

IMO CoreAVC is the best decoder out there. Best software/CPU performance, and if you have a CUDA GPU, the best hardware acceleration method. Beats DXVA IMO.

7600GT has partial support IIRC, but 8xxx series or higher is needed for full support.

True, but unless his playback decoder was instructed to use the GPU, it wasn't doing anything.

Not really relevant. Of course this can easily be done with a $30 4350 but this thread wasn't about what he needs to buy to do HD.

In your case Shadowsong, your GPU wasn't doing a thing. Its was all on the CPU. Are you sure you where using CoreAVC? Just installing it doesn't mean its being used. For instance, in MPC-HC, you need to add it to the "External Decoders" list in the Options, then set it to "Preferred"

The newest CoreAVC has CUDA support as well, so if your Nvidia GPU supports CUDA, it will offload the whole thing to the GPU. I can play high bitrate 1080p material while my CPU idles.

IMO CoreAVC is the best decoder out there. Best software/CPU performance, and if you have a CUDA GPU, the best hardware acceleration method. Beats DXVA IMO.

True, but unless his playback decoder was instructed to use the GPU, it wasn't doing anything.

Ah ok I didn't know that, I had just installed it. I'll take a look when I get my system back from a friend.

Not really relevant. Of course this can easily be done with a $30 4350 but this thread wasn't about what he needs to buy to do HD.

A x1950xt is faster than the 4350 obviously, does the 4350 support features that the x19 doesn't needed for hd playback?

My Barton 3000+ rig cant play 1080p but I can play 720p usually seamlessly. Dont' know if that helps..

A x1950xt is faster than the 4350 obviously, does the 4350 support features that the x19 doesn't needed for hd playback?

Yes. The 4350 will decode H264 content on the GPU (hardware acceleration of HD material) while the x1900 (anything older then the 2000 series) doesn't have the ability to do it.

It has nothing to do with how fast the X1900 card is, it's still absolute crap for video playback of HD material, especially when coupled with a lowend single core CPU.

Back