"Single channel when installed individually."

Denamian

Limp Gawd
I was looking at this stick of corsair ram, and I noticed that it said something to the effect of: "this module runs in single channel when installed individually."

Well, duh, it would by definition, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I was wondering then... How do I know/find out for sure if multiple modules could be run as dual, triple, or quad channel? I am assuming that I could contact Corsair directly to ask, but short of that do I have any options?

Thanks in advance!

wiki:
Dual-channel architecture requires a dual-channel-capable motherboard and two or more DDR, DDR2 SDRAM, or DDR3 SDRAM memory modules. The memory modules are installed into matching banks, which are usually color coded on the motherboard. These separate channels allow each memory module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. It is not required that identical modules be used, but this is often recommended for best dual-channel operation. It is possible to use a single-sided module of 512 MB[1] and a double-sided module of 512 MB in dual-channel configuration, but how fast and stable it is depends on the memory controller.
If the motherboard has two pairs of differently colored DIMM sockets (the colors indicate which bank they belong to, bank 0 or bank 1), then one can place a matched pair of memory modules in bank 0, but a different-capacity pair of modules in bank 1, as long as they are of the same speed. Using this scheme, a pair of 1 GB memory modules in bank 0 and a pair of matched 512 MB modules in bank 1 would be acceptable for dual-channel operation.[2]
Modules rated at different speeds can be run in dual-channel mode, although the motherboard will then run all memory modules at the speed of the slowest module. Some motherboards, however, have compatibility issues with certain brands or models of memory when attempting to use them in dual-channel mode. For this reason, it is generally advised to use identical pairs of memory modules, which is why most memory manufacturers now sell "kits" of matched-pair DIMMs. Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used. A matching pair needs to match in:

So if I am understanding correctly then... Two of these could be properly installed to create a dual-channel solution, as long as the chipset provided for that application (which I assume all ddr3-capable motherboards are)?

yes, any pair of ddr1, ddr2, or ddr3 ram chips can be used for dual channel as long as they are same size. It is recommended that they have the same speed and chips, which is why they sell dual and triple channel packs.

Right, I was hoping that was the case, but this is a pretty decent price for a 4gb stick with those timings. I just wanted to do a little research and make sure i wasn't missing anything!

Thanks again!

Right, I was hoping that was the case, but this is a pretty decent price for a 4gb stick with those timings. I just wanted to do a little research and make sure i wasn't missing anything!

Thanks again!

Ideally, if you want 2 modules or 4 or 6 for that matter, you should buy a kit that is matched and tested together. If you buy 2, 4 or 6 separate modules there is no guarantee that they will run together in any given board. They "probably" will but with a kit you get the guarantee of the manufacturer that they will and you get support if they don't.

In almost all cases other than some special sale a kit will cost within a very few dollars of the single modules.

Back