Single channel IDE RAID

PKRipper1

Weaksauce
I've used RAID setups for years now. I've used 2 IDE channels and 2 SATA channels but I don't understand how you can RAID with a single IDE channel. Can someone please explain?

are you refering to JBOD?

technically not RAID, but a cool way to "string together" disks of diffferent capacities to create one large volume. the only thing you need to remember is that JBOD has absolutely NO fault tolerence, so if your data is critical i would not think about it.

of course there are other RAID config's available if you have SCSI drives that do not require dual channels like IDE. they all connect (up to SCSI maximums) on a single Channel (same ribbon).

No. I'm talking about RAID 0. This is a quote from http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1417_1.html

Support for your internal devices is quite thorough and will please all walks of users. RAID support comes in two different forms for both your IDE and SATA chains. The VIA K8T800 Pro South Bridge provides dual SATA/PATA controllers, the PATA connections function in the Ultra DMA ATA133/100/66/33 modes and the SATA controllers offer RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD functionality. The Promise 20378 RAID controller offers RAID functionality for both its dual SATA connections and single PATA connection. The SATA/PATA controllers functions in the RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 0+1, including Multiple RAID environments. The Promise PATA controller does not support any devices other than hard drives so CD-ROMs or zip drives will not be detected by the controller. All in all you get connections for up to eight SATA drives and up to six IDE devices with the A8V Deluxe, which is not bad at all.

Its possible, just "sucktacular" in performance.

Just because we can do something doesnt mean that its the best thing to do. :)

Bullitt said:
Its possible, just "sucktacular" in performance.

Just because we can do something doesnt mean that its the best thing to do. :)
yeppers....

Some will argue it is not true RAID becuase there is not fault tolerence. one disk goes out and you're SOL just like JBOD.

OK guys. I know all about RAID 0. If one drive fails, you lose everything. I don't want to get into a pissing match or a discussion about the performance increases (or lack there of). I also know how to back up HDDs. My question was:

I've used 2 IDE channels and 2 SATA channels but I don't understand how you can RAID with a single IDE channel. Can someone please explain?

If you don't know, don't tell me how insecure RAID 0 is. If you do know, I would very much appreciate some insight.

Thanks, Paul

"The Promise 20378 RAID controller offers RAID functionality for both its dual SATA connections and single PATA connection"

I've never seen a single channel PATA, they must mean one dual channel connection.

Single channel raid0 may be possible, on some cards, but I do not recommended.. pata/eide can only access 1 drive per channel at a time, negating the speed benefit of raid0.. This would render raid0 in that config pretty much useless except as a way to span the disks..

It would just take turns reading the stripes on each drive as opposed to reading both disks simultaniously...

i think the wording is confussing, and the single PATA does not have all of the same RAID abilities/levels of the SATA channels. probably saying that the single PATA is probably a JBOD capable channel where as the SATA can do RAID 0/1/0+1 or JBOD.

this does not rule out the possibility that the single PATA channel could be configured for other RAID levels (stripe/mirror), but i think it is just a "bonus" that the Promise controller can function on both PATA and SATA, allowing RAID 0/1/0+1/JBOD on the SATA channels and JBOD over the Single PATA.

if the controller does allow for RAID over the single PATA, then an array would be set up no differently than using 2-channels for 0/1/0+1. you select the drives for the array, and either stripe them or set up a mirrored array, but i do think it likely that only JBOD is the only choice when using the PATA, and all other options are meant to describe abilities when using your SATA channels.

off topic:
PK Ripper huh?... no Quad-angles, flyers or flovals? or did you pick the name for another reason. just that i have not thought about SE in a long, long time.

A single channel of PATA supports 2 drives, so you could RAID 0 the master and slave drives, it would have bad performance, but you could technically do it.

Also it probably can RAID the PATA to the SATA drives, again you would lose some performance but it can work.

==>Lazn

Back