Single 8800GTX or 8800GTS sli?

vl_turbo

n00b
I've just received my DELL 2407wfp today but still have not upgraded my 3 year old computer. It's got a nVidia GeForce MX 4000. LMAO!

So I can't use this screen yet. I'm buying my new computer this week and have a budget of $3500AUD (2,742.62USD).

I cannot wait any longer for the prices of the 8800 GTX to drop. So I can get a single 8800GTX or go for the 8800GTS in sli. The screen has a resolution of 1920x1200 so what will perform better? I'm guessing the 2 8800GTS?

I really, really want to play Crysis at max settings with no less than 30fps. I don't know guys, what should I do?

Thanks from Australia! ^_-

a single 8800 gts can perform that well, but if i had the 2 choices the 2 8800 gts in sli it would absolutely own a single gtx.

upto you. i would go for 8800gtx so you can add to the performance where as sli 8800gts means scrapping 2 cards to get more performance.
btw crysis... i doubt it. my rig (see sig) i am told will run medium/high grapics. you'll need sli 8800gtx and a quad core/4gb and vista to get full i think.

Go for a single 8800 GTX now. Add in another 8800 GTX when Crysis comes out (and when prices drop, as they probably will with R600 and refreshes) for SLI.

Go for a single 8800 GTX now. Add in another 8800 GTX when Crysis comes out (and when prices drop, as they probably will with R600 and refreshes) for SLI.

Yep.

For all the games out today a GTX will do serve you very nicely and when the PC-braker will come out (a.k.a. - Crysis :D ) just slot in an other GTX - the drivers will be better by then too... for Vista anyway.

And, it should cost you roughly the same, might be even cheaper with the GTX option - as no one knows by how much the prices will fall exactly by the time Crysis will come out, but I presume by a fair bit, but maybe not by much at all...

get a single GTX like stated above
2 GTS might own the gtx in performance, but sill you wont get any real world advantage which would make it worth to buy 2 gts cards, at least imo

I think the extra ram of the GTX will eventually pay off. Like the others said get another GTX when/if they drop in prices.

ZMAN

Current specs:
C2D E6600 (not overclocked yet)
2 Gigs OCZ PC6400
Asus P5NE SLI
PNY 8800 GTX (not installed yet) I'm waiting for my OCZ 700W PSU to be delivered monday.

Getting one GTX is fine and all, but is the 8800GTX here to stay until Crysis comes out? That's what I wanna know. It's not going to live the life of the 7800GTX 512mb is it? Only to be replaced by the 8900G2XPRO 2Gb a couple of months down the track?

Before you make a decision, make sure to research the driver issues with 8800's in SLI. I know there are problems with Vista.

As people have previously stated, you can easily upgrade an 8800 GTX but it's harder to upgrade 2 8800 GTS's in SLI.

Also, think of the extra wattage you'll need in your PS because of 2 graphics cards (don't forget about your energy bill as well). Think of the extra heat you'll have to pump out of your case. All these things are reasons to get the single GTX which people haven't previously said.

as far as i know there no HARD knowledge of a new nvidia card and i'm sure you'll still be able to buy them after a new card is out.

8800 GTS SLi isn't a bad choice. It will outperform a single 8800 GTX easily. However, the SLi setup will draw more power and there's nothing really to take advantage of all that muscle.

There isn't a game that the GTX can run well that the GTS can't.....at this point. Upgrading to SLi in the future for potential monster rendering games such as Crysis and Alan Wake is economical too.

So I say go single GTS now and then see how well it performs when later DX10 titles come out. And then the sexiness of SLi is an option later on.

single 8800GTX now is a better choice like others have stated.

gtx also gives you option to upgrade to sli later, gts is for if you can't afford a gtx then you can sli it later for same price and get roughly same if not abit better perfomance.

Why does everyone ask this question? The gts sli setup is more expensive then the single gtx so its not a fair comparison, everyone damn well knows that its faster yet this is asked every week?

7600gt or 7600gs sli
7800gtx or 7800gt sli
7900gtx or 7900gt sli
8800gtx or 8800gt sli

In the coming weeks we'll see 8600gts or 8600gt sli, geez it never stops...

8800GTX, IF they can actually release 1/2 decent Vista drivers. Otherwise yours could end up on the FS forum like mine did.

Personally I own a 8800gts

But get the 8800 GTX

college owns my wallet =(

8800gts SLI all the way. reason? it will give you better performance now over the GTX especially with all details/AA/AF and res. Then when next gen comes out or just before, you sell one and the other goes into the 2nd rig for the mrs/kids. then you buy 2xG90. :D

i here by resurrect this thread with proof two 8800GTS's w/ 320MB ram (apparently NOT totally inadequate) is better than a single 8800GTX performance wise!

read em and weep (and an 8800GTX on a similar platform to refresh the memories of those who've forgotten)

Again, stability, future-proof-ability, power consumption, and noise (8800 coolers are pretty good tho): different story

jone says they werent. but it makes more sense to get an 8800gtx so you can add another later.

Back