Single 780 GTX vs Single 780 GTX Ti?

Zef Pomp

[H]ard|Gawd
I will be needing a GPU once the ncase(mini itx case) arrives, I will not be overclocking. There was another thread similar to this but I didn't want to take over and he was talking SLI, which I cannot and would not do.

Monitor: Dell U2713H

GTX 780 FTW w/ACX - 03G-P4-3784-KR
GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ACX - 03G-P4-2884-KR

the 780 is $525, while the 780 Ti is $730

So my question is the Ti worth the extra $205? Will I see $205 worth of improvement in games?

You will see anywhere between 10-25% improvement in games. Worth is subjective and you should make the decision based on the information I provided.

I will be needing a GPU once the ncase(mini itx case) arrives, I will not be overclocking. There was another thread similar to this but I didn't want to take over and he was talking SLI, which I cannot and would not do.

Monitor: Dell U2713H

the 780 is $525, while the 780 Ti is $730

So my question is the Ti worth the extra $205? Will I see $205 worth of improvement in games?

Probably not. The difference, in percentage, is much greater between $730 & $525 than it is between scores, frames per seconds or benchmarks of those two cards. Of course, it depends more specifically on which card make & model you're looking at.

Probably not. The difference, in percentage, is much greater between $730 & $525 than it is between scores, frames per seconds or benchmarks of those two cards. Of course, it depends more specifically on which card make & model you're looking at.

these are the exact two models I am deciding between:

You will see anywhere between 10-25% improvement in games. Worth is subjective and you should make the decision based on the information I provided.

So it basically comes down to 10% for $200.......hmmm

these are the exact two models I am deciding between:

So it basically comes down to 10% for $200.......hmmm

Ultimately it's up to you. I personally just ordered a GTX780 yesterday. However, if I really, really wanted a GTX780ti what I'd do is wait until the inevitable price-drop happens. Right now, they're at launch price. Which brought non-ti models down $150.00 when the ti's came out. Right now, I'd say the GTX780 is a better value, but that may change in days to come.

Looking at this chart I couldn't justify buying the ti model. Sure, I payed a little more for the MSI Lightning model than some other models. But looking at the gap in price between the ti and non-ti is looking at a smidgen. The difference between the 560ti, which I was upgrading from, was much more satisfying than the difference between the GTX780ti and non-ti models.

Dude

I created the exact same thread last week.

I judged the 10-15% performance increase for the TI not to be worth the extra $200.

Last weekend, I went with the Asus 780 DirectCU OC (and am probably going to buy an extra for SLi). Yes, its not as fast as the MSI lightning or the EVGA SC, but it is cool and extremely quiet. Its actually slightly quieter that my 560 Twin Frozr that it replaced. I don't regret it.

I would stick with the reference cooler. It's cheaper, looks better and since you aren't overclocking will be more than capable of keeping the card cool.

I would stick with the reference cooler. It's cheaper, looks better and since you aren't overclocking will be more than capable of keeping the card cool.

I'm in agreement with this. If you're not overclocking, reference is probably the best bet. Aftermarket designs will be slightly better in terms of acoustics and overall consistent clockspeeds - but open air cards are usually not the best choice for small form factors such as mITX. Reference is your best choice here.

As far as 780 vs 780ti? That depends on what resolution you're using. If you're playing at 1080p, i'd just get a 780 and call it a day. Anything higher than that, a 780ti could be desirable - keep in mind that the performance difference between the two is large, but it isn't necessarily worth 200$. It's all in the eye of the beholder; I play at 1600p and I would opt for a 780ti in that situation. But if you're at 1080p, a 780 will do you just fine.

edit: just saw that you're using 1440p. Tough call! A 780ti is roughly 15-20% better than a 780. You have to make the judgement call as to whether that is worth 200$ - if you were overclocking , it definitely would be (as the TI overclocks *really* well) but at stock clocks the question becomes more ambiguous.

GTX 780 Ti. :D

Better card for your resolution.

Stock cooler is whisper quiet and keeps the card cool.

I personally think the price jump isn't worth it for the additional performance you get.

There's always the option of overclocking a GTX 780 in order to match/surpass a stock GTX 780 Ti. A 1150 MHz core clock is almost universally attainable on a GTX 780, and should put you toe-to-toe most of the time.

And it's not like the GTX 780 does horribly at high resolutions. I drive 5760x1200 on mine without a problem (Overclocked to 1150 MHz core / 6.4GHz RAM, which is a VERY mild overclock) :p

The 780ti has more overclock headroom than the 780 due to some minor changes in design - Is it worth 200$ more? Not really. But still - the 780ti when overclocked easily passes the GTX 690. It's a beast of a card.

perf_oc.gif

Keep in mind the 780ti has some power delivery changes which will enhance overclocking. All things equal, the 780 ti is much better. But is it 200$ better? That's up for debate. For 1080p i'd say no. For 1600p? MAYBE! But then again you can get 780 SLI for 1000$ versus a single 780ti for 700$. It really depends on user preference.

The 780ti has more overclock headroom than the 780 due to some minor changes in design - Is it worth 200$ more? Not really.
Never said it didn't have more headroom, but as you said, still not $200 more...

And really, the point of overclocking (in the classic sense) is to get the best bang for your buck. The (now cheaper) GTX 780 with a mild overclock can pop you up an entire performance bracket without dishing out an extra $200 for it. That's pretty darn good.

perf_oc.gif

Keep in mind the 780ti has some power delivery changes which will enhance overclocking. All things equal, the 780 ti is much better. But is it 200$ better? That's up for debate. For 1080p i'd say no. For 1600p? MAYBE! But then again you can get 780 SLI for 1000$ versus a single 780ti for 700$. It really depends on user preference.
That chart leaves out a key comparison...

It had the 780, and the 780 Ti, and two overclocked versions of the 780Ti... but where's the overclocked GTX 780? :confused:

thanks for all the input, but you guys are talking a lot of overclocking/SLI, which I will never do

Ncase = Mini ITX = Silverstone 450W PSU = No Overclocking & No SLI

Do you think model 03G-P4-3784-KR or 03G-P4-2884-KR @ 1440p

thanks for all the input, but you guys are talking a lot of overclocking/SLI, which I will never do

Do you think model 03G-P4-3784-KR or 03G-P4-2884-KR @ 1440p

Do you want to max everything out? I run a single 780 at 1600p and I have to lower 1-2 settings now and then, and it doesn't bother me. I think a 780ti will get you closer to maxing things out if that's what you wanna do.

That said, a single 780 can certainly do fine at 1440/1600p. Maxing games out generally means going overboard with ridiculous levels of AA and settings that you really don't need most of the time - so it's really whether the 1-2 added settings clinch the 200$ higher price for you. Very subjective! ;) I'd personally just get a single 780 for 1440p, but that's me. Let's take crysis 3 for instance - you can play that at 1600p at great framerates by lowering shadows, water and post process by 1 notch and using FXAA instead of more elaborate forms of AA. This generally nets me 60 fps fluid, but i'm highly overclocked on both the CPU and GPU. With a 780ti, you can come closer to enabling those other settings that a 780 would require you to lower.

I hope i'm making sense - basically, 780 and 780ti are pretty darn close in performance but that extra 15% will net you 3-4 more image quality settings if you want to max things out. Keep in mind that only very few games are this demanding, for the most part all of your games will run great with either card.

That certainly prevents SLI (I'd never run SLI either), but it doesn't stop you from putting a small overclock on a 780 :rolleyes:

Just use the reference blower cooler and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Also, keep in mind, a 780 Ti is rated at 270w TDP while a 780 is 250w TDP, so you're looking at an increase in power consumption no matter which way you go.

omg, you can buy 2 290s for that...oops, sorry, was practicing being a fanboi - Is the PSU you're gonna use really 450W? I ask because on the 780 ti SC ACX box, which i just happen to have here (and what a shit-hot card it is), it asks for a 600W PSU, 42amps on the 12v - don't shoot the messenger, I'm just quoting the details on the box..I know you can get away with less but I think you would be better served getting the FTW 780..gl

$205 for 10%? No. $205 for 25% Maybe but is it a solid 25% in all games? Here is the thing though. You are using a M1 case. You'll be dumping a lot of heat into that case with these cards. What you are not saying is what sort of cooling you are using? Air? AIO? Full water cooling? The more you fill up that case the more hot air is going to be harder to get rid of. If it were me ( I have two M1s on order) I'd go with the 780 but a reference blower. That should do you fine. Keeps the heat down some. Gives you head room in case you do decide to try some overclocking. Also saves you money if you are concerned about costs. Next year when the new models come out you can always upgrade if you feel the 780 isn't giving the FPS you want with games on on your 1440p monitor. The newer cards should be better in performance and cooling as the chipset matures. Just my 2 pennies anyway.

$205 for 10%? No. $205 for 25% Maybe but is it a solid 25% in all games? Here is the thing though. You are using a M1 case. You'll be dumping a lot of heat into that case with these cards. What you are not saying is what sort of cooling you are using? Air? AIO? Full water cooling? The more you fill up that case the more hot air is going to be harder to get rid of. If it were me ( I have two M1s on order) I'd go with the 780 but a reference blower. That should do you fine. Keeps the heat down some. Gives you head room in case you do decide to try some overclocking. Also saves you money if you are concerned about costs. Next year when the new models come out you can always upgrade if you feel the 780 isn't giving the FPS you want with games on on your 1440p monitor. The newer cards should be better in performance and cooling as the chipset matures. Just my 2 pennies anyway.

I think I will just go with the 780, but I really like the look of the ACX. (reference/titan look is ugly) My M1 will be all air cooled, I bought 4x 120mm cougar vortex pwm fans

The ACX is supposed to be real good I hear. I personally like the Titan style as far as looks go but its all a matter of personal preference when it comes to looks.Performance is something else and in size of case it can matter too. What air cooling unit are you going to use? I'm still undecided myself. Those cougars should really move air around.

Canada, B.C.: Zotac AMP 780=573-20$ MIR (tax and shipping included) vs. 890$ for the Classified ti (subtract 60-80$ for reference)...don't think the ti is worth 240-340$ more.

Last edited:
I think I will just go with the 780, but I really like the look of the ACX. (reference/titan look is ugly) My M1 will be all air cooled, I bought 4x 120mm cougar vortex pwm fans

with powerful case airflow i think you can go with the evga classy 780. but a 450w psu is too risky. get a 550W rosewill capstone or seasonic g550. 80 plus gold. 5 year warranty.

with powerful case airflow i think you can go with the evga classy 780. but a 450w psu is too risky. get a 550W rosewill capstone or seasonic g550. 80 plus gold. 5 year warranty.

Just remember he's cramming all of this in a mini itx case. I think the M1 can fit an ATX sized PSU, but not sure with all the fans and video card in there.

Edit: Hunted this post down, This guy put a normal ATX psu in an M1, and it don't look like any larger sized gpu would fit.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1792807

The ACX is supposed to be real good I hear.
I haven't had good luck with mine (on my second RMA right now).

Cools better than the stock cooler, but both of mine have been louder / made grinding noises. The AXC cooler also has a tendency to turn your case into a hotbox (compared to the reference cooler), causing everything else to run warmer unless you turn up your case fan speeds.

Back