Single 4870x2 512MB compared to 57xx in crossfire?

plac

Gawd
Single 4870x2 512MB compared to 57xx in crossfire?
I have had the basic 4870x2 512MB for probably at least 2 years. I'm the kind of guy that is always a generation behind, mostly to save money. So I was looking at a 5750 1GB, but when i compared all the clocks it just doesnt seem much better than what I already have. So what about getting two 5750's and put them in crossfire? Would that blow my single out of the water? If I went with crossover I would want to get slightly lower end cards so the heat and power doesnt go thru the roof. I assume a single 5770 wouldnt be an upgrade to what i have now. The only game I play these days is TF2 at 1650x1080, but i do want to try a few new games this year also.

For a point of reference, 5770's in crossfire are fairly comparable in speed to a 4870x2 - it is a fast card even today, although for the 512M variant the lack of memory is a problem in certain situations (and it becomes an issue earlier than with a single card too). Since you're only at 1680x1050 I'd suggest picking up a GTX460 - more RAM and DX11 support plus lower power usage, although somewhat slower in games with good CF scaling (while the 4870x2's memory isn't saturated, of course). You could go for a faster card to get that real 'upgrade' feeling, but you probably wouldn't want to invest in anything slower to avoid disappointment. I just don't think it makes sense to replace a DX10.1 crossfire solution with what is basically an equal-performing DX11 crossfire setup.

because of the way crossfire works.. the 5770's will beat the 4870x2 every time with its 1GB frame buffer vs the 4870's 512mb frame buffer..

id still say your best option is a 5850 or 5870 for the price plus power usage plus performance.. but i hate saying this but the GTX 460 would be the better buy over the 5770 crossfire unless you want multi-display gaming then the 5850 or 5870's is the better buy right now..

Thanks for the tips. i actually stay away from Nvidia now. Once i tried ATI and the red and blue colors were twice as accurate, i couldnt go back to Nvidia.

Maybe i dont even have an "x2" model.. how do i confirm that?

graphics.jpg

Yeah, as far as I know, they didn't make a 4870x2 1gb (512mb per gpu). It looks like you have a single 4870 512mb version. That mean, 5770 CF would be a shit ton load faster. Id say go for it or get yourself a GTX 460. As far as color accuracy, without measurement device it may simply be calibration preset or something. If you wanna stick to ATI though, the 5770cf would serve you nicely for a long time. You could always just go for a single 5850 since your at sub 1080p res

If you're not sure which card you have, run GPU-Z to check. If you don't have a 4870x2 then the best, most noticeable, substantial upgrade would either be a 5850 or 5870, though these might be out of your budget. With the release of the GTX460, and if you don't mind buying used, it's possible to find a 5850 for <$250. I know someone on these boards (I won't name) was selling a GTX470 for $275, so it isn't unreasonable for a 5850 to go for <$250 since it's generally a bit slower than the 470.

The 4870 is still a good card, but you're just limited by the low amount of VRAM. That'll hurt with the newest games.

I was wondering about the existence of 4870x2 with 512M per GPU, but anyway looks like you have a single 4870 - there are no other devices for you to select in GPU-Z.

If you're adamant about sticking with ATi, I'd suggest a 5850. The 5830 would also be an upgrade, but in many cases quite a small one.

thanks for all the tips. glad i clarified what card i really have. i bought it so long ago i forgot. maybe ill look at a 5870 just so i can be set for the next couple years again.

pretty soon, i think my cpu will be bottlenecking my video and holding it back. i have the Q6600 and ive always run it at 3ghz. i dont get into fancy coolers, etc. but i do have a decent aftermarket air cooler.

Back