Since video cards have moved away from the hamster-cage blowers...

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
...I'm trying to figure out. Do the exhausts in the back now act as *intakes*, rather than *exhausts*?

IE., in a card like this, it's pretty easy to see what's going on. The blower is sucking air in from inside the computer, blowing it through the HSF fins, and thus the vent on the back is 'exhaust'.

Looking at this card, though....uhhhh....no? From the 'back plane' view, it's pretty clearly that almost none of the fins are between the fan blades and the exhaust. In fact, the fan blades are clearly visible through the grille. So...with a circular rotation, there, the vent on the back must be...intaking air?

Is that right?

Something like that. My 295 co-ops have the annoying habit of toasting the shit out of my interior case components since they exhaust half of their heat right into the case. The other side of the coin is my buddy who has 4870x2's in quadfire where they exhaust right out of the case, however his GPU temps (especially on the farthest core) are significantly higher.

It's still exhausting out the back. It may also be exhausting out the other end of the card (the pics don't show the other end) but the fan is blowing inwards.

It's still exhausting out the back. It may also be exhausting out the other end of the card (the pics don't show the other end) but the fan is blowing inwards.

You sure? Checked with smoke? I mean, if it *is* exhausting out of the back, that's just wasted airflow - the fan blades are *right there*. There are no cooling fins between them and the exhaust - the fans would be just blowing air from inside the computer right outside, not running them over the heatsink or anything (at least, that air coming out the back).

That seems...like a *terrible* design?

You sure? Checked with smoke? I mean, if it *is* exhausting out of the back, that's just wasted airflow - the fan blades are *right there*. There are no cooling fins between them and the exhaust - the fans would be just blowing air from inside the computer right outside, not running them over the heatsink or anything (at least, that air coming out the back).

That seems...like a *terrible* design?

Well, it appears to have the same design as the reference cooler, so there would be fins there.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-560-ti_3.html

image.php

Back